HELP!!! Pop/clunk in front end!!

Brook S

I have a 2008 Ford Edge that is making a popping sound on both sides when turning either way, hitting bumps, and pretty much with any type of movement. It does not do just sitting still and turning the steering wheel or pushing down on the front end. My husband is a mechanic and he is lost. 

Several weeks ago, my drivers side ball joint broke when I was pulling out of a parking lot. We had it towed home and my husband replaced the lower control arm & axle. We took it for a test drive and that is when the popping sound started. The sound was only on the drivers side. So, here we are weeks later and my husband has now replaced just about every part on both sides; lower control arm, axle, struts, sway bar link, sway bar bushings. The only thing that we have not replaced is the tie rod ends. Nothing has fixed this horrible pop and it is now on both sides or at least it sounds like it is.

Any ideas what it could be??? 

He told me that the new struts came with new mounts. He didn’t take anything off the old ones. It sort of sounds like metal getting  caught and then let’s go.

The sound in the video isn’t the sound I’m hearing from my car. I know the sound in videos isn’t going to sound the same in person. I did record it on my phone or at least tried so could compare it but haven’t had much luck. 

• 1 month later...

It might make sense to check out all the things that could have been damaged by the broken ball joint mishap. If the wheel went  under the car or ended up turning violently right or left, it could have damaged the half shaft, the steering rack, tie rod (inner or outer), etc. I would go back into diagnosis mode and try to figure out possible causes. It is possible that the lower control arm is faulty or not torqued in properly. The metal on metal grinding noise occurs only when the car is in motion so could the hub have been damaged? Is the wheel on tight? Try jacking it up from under the control arm enough to get a crowbar under the tire and try to lever the wheel up/down to see if/what is making noise.  Maybe the brake backing plate is bent?

Tell us more about exactly what your doing when the noise occurs (driving straight, straight but over bumps, turning, turning with bumps, turning left/right, etc. Maybe someone will think of something.

If you're still stuck, take it to a front end shop.

Good luck.

I have a front end noise that sounds like the front end is about to fall off when hitting very small bumps.  Everything seems tight when doing all the checks. My next try that I haven't done yet is to put it on the rack with the tires up...then have someone run it while I listen underneath 

• 9 months later...