Battery dead in 10 days!?!?

On The...

Got back from a ten day vacation. 2008 Edge parked just as I left it. I went to unlock it with the key (pressing unlock button), no response. Tried using the five digit code. No response. Unlocked the door manually (key in door), no dome light. Thats when I knew something was fishy. Confirmed that all doors were properly closed and that the dome light was not accedentially turned on and left that way. I checked the "spyglass" on the battery itself which showed red. I put it on a charger at 15 amps for about 2 hours. After that the everything was back to normal.

I took my phone and charger with me when we left. Nothing was plugged into any of the cig. lighter recepticles.

Anyone have any idea why my battery drained?

how long you owned the car?

if this is a first time event, I would certainly lean towards user error - that is, your missing something that was left on. I know you listed the items you covered, but....

in lieu of that, as a bad battery early on in cars life is slim albeit possible, this often happens due to a bad ground somewhere in the electrical so power is flowing to 'something'

It's not likely that you left a light on - the battery saver should have kicked in to prevent that (leave your overhead light on and it will automatically shut off after 10 or 30 minutes).

Modern cars can drain a battery if left for more than a few days. The PCM is still running, managing the anti-theft system and awaiting your keyless entry command.

I'd have it checked just to be safe - it is possible the battery is bad or there is something else draining it too fast, but don't be surprised if it comes back as normal.

• 1 year later...
It's not likely that you left a light on - the battery saver should have kicked in to prevent that (leave your overhead light on and it will automatically shut off after 10 or 30 minutes).

Modern cars can drain a battery if left for more than a few days. The PCM is still running, managing the anti-theft system and awaiting your keyless entry command.

I'd have it checked just to be safe - it is possible the battery is bad or there is something else draining it too fast, but don't be surprised if it comes back as normal.

Had the same problem with a different car...turned out to be a cracked fuse block

Loose cable on one of the terminals? Or maybe a wild animal chewed on the wiring harness while you were gone. My old truck has the wiring harness go bad and it presented itself early on with constant dead batteries. Most of the time I could get it to summons up enough to start, but it damaged the battery too, had to replace all of it.

Got back from a ten day vacation. 2008 Edge parked just as I left it. I went to unlock it with the key (pressing unlock button), no response. Tried using the five digit code. No response. Unlocked the door manually (key in door), no dome light. Thats when I knew something was fishy. Confirmed that all doors were properly closed and that the dome light was not accedentially turned on and left that way. I checked the "spyglass" on the battery itself which showed red. I put it on a charger at 15 amps for about 2 hours. After that the everything was back to normal.

I took my phone and charger with me when we left. Nothing was plugged into any of the cig. lighter recepticles.

Anyone have any idea why my battery drained?

I just had the battery replaced (warranty) in my '08 Edge last week. The car had about 21K miles. The battery showed 'green' in the indicator. I cleaned the terminals (which were pretty clean already). Then I pried off the cap and checked the cells with a hydrometer: the number 1 cell (front) was totally dead. The dealer replaced the battery after running a scan on the car.