2020 Edge ST USB Browsing while in motion

Greetings all. Noob here. I just purchased a 2020 Edge ST after owning a 2009 Edge Limited for the last 10 years. Love this car. One feature that I appreciate on both is being able to use a USB thumb drive for my music. On my 09 I could "browse" or scroll through the contents of my USB thumb drive while the car was in motion. (While I am eating, texting, brushing my teeth and fixing my hair) On my 2020 Edge when I try to scroll I get a window that says "some functions are disabled while the vehicle is in motion". Does anyone know how to disable that? I can use voice commands for some things, but on a long drive I really don't want to have to pull over to be able to scroll through my music collection. 

Any help is appreciated. Oh, the 2020 ST is a BEAST! Awesome B&O stereo...

Thanks, Brian

2 hours ago, broid said:

On my 2020 Edge when I try to scroll I get a window that says "some functions are disabled while the vehicle is in motion". Does anyone know how to disable that?'

Hi Brian,
Welcome to the Edge forum.  There 'is' a way to enable vehicle in motion at least on the '15-'19 Edge.  It needs an OBDII reader and a program called FORScan.  That's a whole different thread and I won't go into details here.
If you already have or know about the program then you're on your way....we hope.  It just depends whether Ford has disabled your efforts to disable their trickery in the '20 model.  One caution. In Sync3 V3 disabling the vehicle in motion lockout also removes the call 911 button in the Setup menu and you'll notice a change to the speed limit sign in the navigation maps from the U.S. version to the European circle with a red border.   Yes, Sync3 has left the country but it doesn't affect your maps at all.
So, here's what you change in FORScan:

Use Navigation While Moving

APIM

7D0-02-01 from X5XX XXX XXX to X7XX XXXX XXXX  (changes 5 to 7 for the second digit)

If the above means nothing to you just do a forum search for FORScan or visit forscan.org to download the (free) program and learn all about it.  There are many things you can change about the way your Edge works.  Most of us start by turning off all the horn honks ;)

15 hours ago, broid said:

Thanks Gadget, I know absolutely nothing about an OBDII reader or Forscan. Zip, zero, nada. 

Alrighty then!  If you're really interested in modifying things like 'in motion' and dozens of other things check out this tutorial: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573  and/or go to the FORScan web page to read the FAQs and download the program: forscan.org .  After downloading you can request a (free) two month (renewable) license to use the program. 

To use FORScan you need a code reader that plugs into your OBDII port.   They're easy to find on eBay but most of those cheap $20 readers are just junk.  To see 'all' of the Edge (and other Ford) modules products from OBDLink are very popular.  They offer a wired reader that plugs directly into your laptop to make changes ( https://amzn.to/39R5qpy ) and Bluetooth/WiFi readers that can stay plugged in 24/7 allowing you to see pretty much every important function of your Edge while you're driving from temperatures to actual turbo boost (my main screen is shown in photo below).  If you have an Android phone you can use the OBDLink MX ( https://amzn.to/3bXkbsO ), if you have an iOS device you should use the MX+ which also works well with Android.  Below is a list of changes I've made to my Edge.

Windows close and open using remote fob (some Edge's come from the factory with close function disabled)
Double horn honk when walking away from running car disabled
Horn honk when pressing fob lock button a second time disabled
Secure idle (aka police mode) turned on (transmission can't be taken out of park if fob isn't in car)
Chime when door is ajar disabled
Show heated and cooled seat icons on Home and Climate screens
Change number of turn signal flashes after quick tap on lever from factory 3 to 6
Move DRL function to high beam bulbs (after replacing halogen headlights with HID)
Turn DRL off on the side turn signal is flashing (makes signal more visible)
Turn hyperflash off (after replacing front turn signal bulbs with LED switchbacks)
Changed screen theme
Use navigation while moving enabled
Changed power point timeout from factory 18 hours to 30 seconds (you can set it from zero to 18 hours)

So, learn about FORScan then have fun!  As mentioned earlier some of these changes might not work for the '20 models.  Always back up your factory settings before making changes so you can go back to stock easily.

Cheers!

1st pic, screen grab of main page with data displayed using Torque Pro app
2nd pic, screen grab of 'trip' page data

Torque Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot_20190715-063302.png

Edited by Gadgetjq
Added pics