Creaky cheap plastic sound in 20 inch wheels

altart

My 2008 Edge Limited 20 inch wheels have a creaky cheap plastic sound. The dealer replaced two rims, which sound worse than the original ones. Ford needs to come up with a solution for this. Simply replacing poorly made wheels with poorly made wheels won't work. Please reply.

My 2008 Edge Limited 20 inch wheels have a creaky cheap plastic sound. The dealer replaced two rims, which sound worse than the original ones. Ford needs to come up with a solution for this. Simply replacing poorly made wheels with poorly made wheels won't work. Please reply.

Same sort of deal here. Our front two were making snapping noises everytime you made a turn. Took six weeks to get the replacements. While they had them off, they rotated them. Guess what. I now have two rims on the back that now make clinking/snapping noises when I drive in a straight line. Great...

I called the dealership to let them know, and they said they'd get back to me. They haven't called, so I guess I'll have to call them again...

Edited by SteveW

Of course they're working on it - do you think Ford enjoys replacing wheels knowing they'll have to replace them again? But you don't fix things like this overnight and once it's fixed it takes time to get the fix into the manufacturing process and get enough stock produced for both new vehicles and to replace the ones already sold.

• 1 month later...
Of course they're working on it - do you think Ford enjoys replacing wheels knowing they'll have to replace them again? But you don't fix things like this overnight and once it's fixed it takes time to get the fix into the manufacturing process and get enough stock produced for both new vehicles and to replace the ones already sold.

I bought my Edge (a 2008 Limited) in December '07 and in general I am VERY happy with the car. I had the first set of noisy 20" wheels replaced within 2 months. I agree that this fix can't happen overnight, BUT I've been waiting since February (8 months so far)...NO ANSWER yet. I Still have embarrassing, noisy wheels...my 1923 model T with wooden spokes are quieter!!! Come on Ford, I know you can do better than this!!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know why wheels are getting taller and tires getting lower profiles than ever? I mean, I just don't get it. Besides looking funny (at least what I am used to) it weems the ride would be worse and tire replacement cost higher than for smaller rims. Just wondering............ Anybody have an idea?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...