Exhaust smell in cabin 2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Ckpilot

My wife is complaining of an exhaust smell during normal everyday driving and it’s progressively getting worse. I’ve found several articles going back to 2011 regarding this issue with Ford. Currently there is a TSB regarding it. The car has 45K miles and the TSB is not covered under warranty. The dealer wants $500 to repair this. This is pretty steep price for repair for such a new car.

Has anyone done the TSB for this? Has it resolved your issue ?

I also read an article saying that it could be a PTU failure?

Service center at the dealer said to contact Ford directly and they might be able to reduce the repair price, how do I contact them?

• 9 months later...

If by TSB you mean the transfer case odor that smells like a sulfurous rotten egg, then I can help you. I had the same issue with my 2016 MKX 3.7L.  Lincoln tried to fix it 6 times over two years and failed.  I was about to lemon law the car, but my salesman convinced me to accept an upgraded model 2018 same engine at an extreme discount to help with the lost value. That one smelled as well, so I got a 2018 2.7L turbo and that one is fine. This happens to multiple Ford products and they truly do not know why other than some transfer case fluid smells when you unleashed it, and the smell gets into the vehicle when AC is on.  My dad’s  new 1975 Gran Torino did it as well!  I would try to change that fluid and if that doesn’t work, maybe trade it in. 

Edited by BigNate99
  • Like 1

the latest I heard was on the Explorer / Police Interceptor.  Quite a bit of work there, in one of them.  In a CSP, they reprogram the climate control module and replace the drain valves.

Customer Satisfaction Program 19N05
Certain 2011-2017 Model Year Explorer Vehicles
Carbon Monoxide Concern

SERVICE ACTION
At the request of the customer, dealers are to reprogram the climate control module (using IDS
release 107.04 or higher), and replace the lift gate drain valves. This service must be performed at no
charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: Climate control module reprogramming brings fresh air into the vehicle cabin during rapid
acceleration. Some customers in extremely hot and humid climates may notice a momentary change
in max air conditioning output.

• Thanks 1