Moon roof must not be properly manufactured

Nefi Ashunday

I started my  Search for new forage Portage Ford Edge limited. I found the perfect edge. However the moonroof got stuck the same evening I got the car so I took it back while they were able to reset the moonroof. I didnt keep the suv. So my search continued. I found a wonderful ford edge limited a few months later. 3 month later today I open the moonroof only for it to move very slow to close then stop the reset didnt work I did it myself. I will take it tomorrow but this is a problem ford is having. I'll wait for the recall

Hi Nefi,

There won't be a recall for a moonroof open/close issue since it's not a safety issue.
The problem with most is simple lack of maintenance.  It's hard to fault owners since it isn't mentioned in the owner's manual but the roof 'does' need to be cleaned and lubricated periodically.  Some recommend yearly while others suggest doing it when you notice the panel is closing more slowly than normal.

Ford's standard is fully open to fully closed in 12 seconds.  If yours is taking longer than that check YouTube for videos that show the cleaning/lubricating process.  It's not difficult at all.  You just need an old toothbrush, some cotton balls or gun cleaning patches (shotgun works great).  Soapy water helps get all the old grease and dirt out of the tracks.  When that's done, re-lubricate the tracks with dielectric grease (any hardware store).  It might take an hour but when finished you'll be amazed how smoothly the BAMR works.

Yea, the roof on my MKT is doing the same thing (same parts as Edge).  It wouldn't close, so I squirted some white lithium crease into the tracks and that got it to close.  I'm going to give it a good cleaning in the spring.  Has nothing at all to do with the manufacturing of the roof.

The general consensus is to use lithium grease on the tracks. Dielectric grease is better suited for lubricating rubber components and as a corrosion/moisture barrier for electrical connections.

The problem with grease is that it attracts dust and then  turns into an abrasive paste which is hardly ideal for a sunroof application.

I've had better success with PTFE spray lubricant. This stuff works great for a lot off lubricating applications:

Super Lube 31110

• 1 month later...

Use the correct WD40 though.  The company offers a PTFE spray lube that does work well. (PTFE is the lubricant recommended by Ford for this application)  Regular (blue can) WD40 just contains a small amount of silicone.  Great for lubricating a door hinge but not for something as heavy as a glass roof. 

• Like 2