Injector issue

Mikejohnson

I have a 2013 Edge. The PCM was not sending pulses to the #4 coil. I replaced the PCM and it ran great for a few weeks. Now it is throwing the code for #4 cylinder again. Checked and the coil is getting signal properly. Checked the injector and it is not. Checked wire continuity from PCM to injector and it is fine. Would the PCM go out again, and for the same cylinder? What else could it be?

Do you have a 2.0 or a 3.5/3.7?

Seems to me the injector may not be responding, and backfeeding to the PCM injector driver, just like worn plugs do to the coils then to the PCM coil drivers in Gen 1 Edge/MKX vehicles.

I know it means taking off the intake manifold, but replacing the injector is much easier on the pocket than replacing the PCM.  It IS more difficult on the 2.0 due to the tech involved, but if you can follow directions, not so bad.

Did you verify the injector itself?  It should ohm out between 11-18 ohms between injector + and - for the 3.5/3.7 and 1-2 ohms for the 2.0.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

You may have the most dreaded electrical problem - an intermittent short.  The issue stayed on #4 tho after the swap, right?

What was the ohms reading for the 4 & 5 injectors?  Did you measure the voltage from VPWR to ground?  Is that where you got 0 volts?   you have to find the short and repair it, per the manual.

KG3 CHECK THE VPWR CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

Note: Disconnect the suspect fuel injector harness connector. Only the suspect injector needs to be diagnosed.

Note: On some vehicles, the injector voltage is only present when the fuel pump relay is energized. Measure the injector voltage within 2 seconds of the ignition ON.

• Ignition OFF.
  • INJ connector disconnected.
  • Ignition ON, engine OFF.
  • Measure the voltage between:

( + ) INJ Connector, Harness Side ( - )
    VPWR Ground
Is the voltage greater than 10.5 V?
Yes No
GO to KG4 . REPAIR the open circuit. Clear the PCM DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ok, so resistance in the injector is at 11 ohms with all 3 in the front. Voltage with accessory on shows 2.48 volts at all 3 injectors.  Actually, update...  If I check the voltage at start using the ground in the harness, it is reading 9.5 volts at all 3 injectors.

Edited by Mikejohnson