Long Term Carbon Build Up?

colinc755

Just wanted to reach out to any owners of 2.0 edges that have higher mileage to see if carbon buildup has been a concern. There have been a lot of videos circling around about ecoboosts getting caked pretty bad, but it is hard to find info specifically about the 2.0. If anyone out there has the first gen or second with high mileage I would love to hear if you've had any service when it comes to cleaning carbon on the intake valves. 

Using a catch can & using quality oil & gas will help with coking. Also changing your oil regularly will keep the impurities out as well.

I wouldn't consider our 2016 SEL high mileage, low 41,xxx range. But I've had a catch can installed on it since around 12,000 miles. In the summer months, the can collects very little. In the winter months, it collects a lot more. It's not terrible, just need to check it maybe once or twice during the winter months to make sure that the can isn't full. May be different with other cars, but both my cx7 & edge produce similar results each year. 

4 hours ago, lildisco said:

Using a catch can & using quality oil & gas will help with coking. Also changing your oil regularly will keep the impurities out as well.

I wouldn't consider our 2016 SEL high mileage, low 41,xxx range. But I've had a catch can installed on it since around 12,000 miles. In the summer months, the can collects very little. In the winter months, it collects a lot more. It's not terrible, just need to check it maybe once or twice during the winter months to make sure that the can isn't full. May be different with other cars, but both my cx7 & edge produce similar results each year. 

In the winter months that extra amount is condensed water vapor.

4 hours ago, lildisco said:

Did you do a DIY install or take it to a shop? If there’s a good kit for the 2.0 I’d be very interested, I wasn’t aware anyone had made anything for the 2.0.

I took it to a shop because i didn't trust myself, but you can definitely DIY.  Hardest spot was trying to find a place to mount the can, which we found was on the cross member by the exhaust.

On the expensive side, but I really like the kit:

http://teamrxp.com/products/2010-2017-ford-edge-27-35-dual-valve-system

4 hours ago, handfiler said:

In the winter months that extra amount is condensed water vapor.

Correct, which i still don't want in/on my intake & valves.

Edited by lildisco

• 3 months later...

I have a 2018 with 44k miles. Just bought it and put a catch can on today. This was the condition of the valves when I popped the intake off.

IMAG1452.thumb.jpg.e47138f3db1780aa1a794d24b686f424.jpg

I put some CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner down the intake when it was closed, letting the stuff soften the buildup. Then I sucked it out with a plastic straw modded to a shop-vac. Lotta gunk came off of em. We just traded in a 2014 Escape with the 1.6 EB and it had developed a rough idle. I'm guessing that at 189k miles it was all sorts of plugged up.

• Like 2