Custom Air Intake Edge 2.7

tyyrael

Been skimming through the articles and I'm still struggling to accept that the Edge Sport 2.7 still doesn't have any support for aftermarket intake systems. I know there are a lot of reasons and the engine bay heat issue and so forth and so forth. Today I stumbled across something that looks like it might fit, but I'm not going to pull the trigger on something this expensive without knowing first. The Cobb Tuning cold air intake system for the 3.5 Ecoboost F150 looks like it has the same size box that would attach to the top of the Edge Sport airbox, but I'm not finding any information that would suggest it is the same airbox. (see the pics below)

The second intake I found was from an image search I was doing for the "dual inlet air filters".  This looks like a solid way to construct a good intake (but I have never fabricated a box for one) (last picture)

Anyway, I just wanted to touch base with the forum and see if anyone else has had any luck building a cool intake system that works and to also find out if anyone would just happen to know if the Cobb box intake in the pictures would fit on top of the factory bottom portion of the Edge Sport box.  If it did, then the only change would be two shorter pipes. 

7F3100_1__47982.1578950550.jpg

7F3100_3__13581.1578950550.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

post-47814-0-77049800-1535046315.jpg

rf-1012_1.jpg

tyyrael , I built this years ago and It was a big fail !! The underhood temps of the 2.7EB Edge are so extreme that it actually took power away. When everything is cold upon startup it works great, as soon as the car gets up to temp and everything gets heat soaked power drops way off and warning lights come on. Snmjin and I  both have answers to the CAI problem, but getting these items into production is difficult. 

1921937588_XtrasXperiment.jpg.b39d9164a1374dca62c14666565a32c8.jpg

post-46130-0-84422600-1493154325.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Thanks for the information Xtra.  I did know about the heat issue, which is why I'm trying to figure out if there is a solution. I contacted Cobb Tuning since they make the intake box for the 3.5 EcoBoost and was hoping it might fit the 2.7's factory bottom box, but they said they had no plans on making a system for the Edge and that it would not fit. 

Also, I am about to try using some cardboard to make my own intake box or separation from the engine heat and also fab something up to get more fresh air in there. I also have plans on making a sweet race intake setup with the driver side headlight removed and the filters sitting in the hole. It would be as simple as making two long curved pipes and adding a mounting bracket.  I'll let you guys know if I make progress on any of this. Right now I've ordered the Afe drop-in filter to hold me over till then. 

Have you looked into any of the Fusion Sport's intakes to work with? That seems like it would be a much closer fit than something for the 3.5 in the F-150.

But to add to what Xtra said, the Fusion Sports have the exact same issue. Over there, a few users have actually gone to great lengths to test and datalog the available CAI offerings but they all performed worse than the stock air box once engine temps increased. It's also been shown (again, at least in the Fusion Sports) that the stock air box itself is more than capable of holding up with tunes, and any other bolt-on mods, and that the weak spot is only the little snorkel bit that connects the box to the grille.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone has tried to make a snorkel that pulls air from the LED parking light on your front bumper?  I haven't gotten behind the light to see if the plastic comes off or if I might have to dremel it out, but that would be a good place to pull fresh air into the engine bay if it's possible to remove the plastic in the middle of the light. 

16 hours ago, tyyrael said:

I wonder if anyone has tried to make a snorkel that pulls air from the LED parking light on your front bumper?  I haven't gotten behind the light to see if the plastic comes off or if I might have to dremel it out, but that would be a good place to pull fresh air into the engine bay if it's possible to remove the plastic in the middle of the light. 

No need to reinvent the wheel.  if you have the skills snmjim and I both have posted a how-to on the CIA subject here at the forum. 

Check out these links. This first link will show my entire mod and how I did it. My mod is in two parts, 1 a mod to the grill air intake, and 2  a custom made fiberglass sight shield.

The second link is to snmjim's air box and it is all you need for a great CAI.                                                                  

• 2 years later...

Have created the V3 Cold Air Intake for the Edge ST , Edge Sport and the Lincoln Nautilus with the 2.7EB.  Available  with or with out an Auxiliary Air Intake that removes any snorkel restrictions while providing cool clean air to the engine.

The standard V3 CAI installed in a 2016 Edge Sport

V3 TOP- VIEW & SENSOR.jpg

The V3 Cold Air Intake with the optional Aux Air Intake

IMG_9279.JPG

This is the complete Cold Air Intake V2, V3 system with the V2 Ram Air in the foreground.  To order PM me. You must be a forum member to order. 

For more info on the V3 go here :                    

For more info on the V2 Ram Air go here. 

Edited by Xtra