Rough Idle After Fill Up

jasoneg

My 2014 Edge (90,000 miles) runs great, but right after I fill up the gas tank it idles rough.  The idle goes up and then down to about 500-600 rpms.  Sometimes it almost feels like its gonna stall.  It will be rough going up and down until I start to drive.  Its not horrible, but just enough to feel it.  After I drive it for a couple miles its fine.  Idles perfectly.  No other issues at all.  Had the fuel pump replaced at 56K due to CEL. But it had the issue before that. Thought that may fix it, but it didn't have any effect.  Had the fuel injection cleaned at 40k and I use fuel system cleaner at every oil change (5K).  

That's a classic symptom of a bad vacuum purge valve.  The problem seems to be caused most often when an owner tops off the gas with a couple of extra 'clicks' of the nozzle.  Raw fuel finds its way into lines that are supposed to have air (vacuum) in them which messes things up.  Sometimes though it's just an aging part gone bad.
The good news is the purge valve is inexpensive and easy to replace.  You'll find YouTube videos showing how to test it and, if bad, replace it.

• Like 3