Ground wire replacement - Batt Neg to Chassis connection?

The connection between my negative terminal and the ground wire has completely rusted through. Bought replacement cable in hopes of fixing myself tomorrow. However, I cannot find anything that tells me where this ground wire goes. I have the Haynes Repair Manual, I have the internet and YouTube but nothing! Can anyone help me?!

10 hours ago, ScammedFemale said:

The connection between my negative terminal and the ground wire has completely rusted through. Bought replacement cable in hopes of fixing myself tomorrow. However, I cannot find anything that tells me where this ground wire goes. I have the Haynes Repair Manual, I have the internet and YouTube but nothing! Can anyone help me?!

Aren't you able to follow the existing cable to find where it attaches to the chassis?

It's is typically a very short run from the Battery Negative terminal to the Chassis/Ground.

• 1004ron changed the title to Ground wire replacement - Batt Neg to Chassis connection?

Hi SF,

Helping you would be easier (and more accurate) if you mention the year or least generation of your Edge.  If you go to your profile on this forum you can add that to a sig line and never have to type the info in again.

To your issue.  If you have a Gen2 (2015-present) the ground connection is a stud on the firewall.  With your hood open look at the firewall on the driver's side to the right of the battery.  This is also a handy place to ground any under hood accessories you might add in the future.
If you have a Gen1 someone else will have to help you.

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq

There is a short ground running to the firewall but it also splits and runs down under everything. That’s the one I’m concerned about because I’m not sure how to follow it with the engine and everything else in the way. Probably just going to take it to a mechanic and pay them to do this. Seems a little too difficult for my skill level of amateur! Thanks guys. 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD 6 cyl in upstate NY

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello,

The ground wire bolts to the side of the engine block unlike most vehicles. You will need to disconnect the battery and remove it. After that you will need to remove the battery tray. Once these steps are complete you need to look towards the engine above the shift linkage to the trans and you will find a wire bolted to the block with a 10mm bolt. This ground wire comes from the factory wrapped in wire loom and is a little booger to get out of the factory loom. You may want to just wrap your new ground cable with loom and cable tie it to the existing harness and then snip the old ground cable below the battery terminal clamp. Hope this helps.