Possible Clock Spring Issue

Good morning! 
I went to a mechanic yesterday because I’ve been hearing a hum and a squeal type sound while turning the steering wheel. He said it was the clock spring starting to go bad. I only question this because I’ve been doing some research and I don’t have any problems with the buttons, no air bag light indicator, cruise control and horn still works. If anyone has some other things to check before I purchase the clock spring, I would greatly appreciate it. ?

I have a 2012 Edge.  I had the power steering pump replaced just over a year ago. 

10 hours ago, Skylar750 said:

Good morning! 
I went to a mechanic yesterday because I’ve been hearing a hum and a squeal type sound while turning the steering wheel. He said it was the clock spring starting to go bad. I only question this because I’ve been doing some research and I don’t have any problems with the buttons, no air bag light indicator, cruise control and horn still works. If anyone has some other things to check before I purchase the clock spring, I would greatly appreciate it. ?

I have a 2012 Edge.  I had the power steering pump replaced just over a year ago. 

The sound you describe is not what I'd expect from a clock spring.

Where does this mechanic work?

Please consider adding M/Y and location to your signature using below link.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/

7 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

The sound you describe is not what I'd expect from a clock spring.

Where does this mechanic work?

Please consider adding M/Y and location to your signature using below link.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/

I still don’t think it is the clock spring. I just don’t want to spend more money for another mechanic to diagnose again. 

I have all that information in my settings. Not sure why no one else can see it. 

5 minutes ago, Skylar750 said:

I still don’t think it is the clock spring. I just don’t want to spend more money for another mechanic to diagnose again. 

I have all that information in my settings. Not sure why no one else can see it. 

Sorry about that, its a deficiency that seems to plague this forum quite often, and the reason why we promote using the signature line for it instead.

It's going to be quite difficult for you to describe the sound/noise, making it even more difficult for any of us to know what it is - you could try taking a video to capture the sound.

Edited by 1004ron

5 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Sorry about that, its a deficiency that seems to plague this forum quite often, and the reason why we promote using the signature line for it instead.

It's going to be quite difficult for you to describe the sound/noise, making it even more difficult for any of us to know what it is - you could try taking a video to capture the sound.

No need to apologize. I will go back and try adding it to my signature. ?

I will gladly take a video and share. 

• Like 1