DVD navigation

Hey Scooter,

Take the money you save from not paying the PST in Alberta, buy an Edge or MKX with the GPS Navi unit, and try it. Then let us all know what happens. :titanic: :violin: :rip:

sorry there buddy!!!did i say something to offend you......just a simple question ....don't really see the need for the sarcasm :yup:

If you have received your vehicle with navigation please let me know the following.

Does the unit still have a 6 cd player in it? or just the DVD?

If it does have the 6 disc, does the DVD use up one of the spaces in order to use the navigation?

Can you listen to a cd while the unit is navigating you with audio directions?

In essence, I would like to know if you have to load the dvd navigation disc to use the navigation, and unload it to load a cd for music?

Or is the dvd disc always in and you can also have cd music at the same time?

I have my vehicle on order and would like to make any necessary changes as soon as possible.

I definitely would not want to have to constantly load and unload a navigation dvd.

And I also wouldn't want to loose the capability of the cd's.

Thanks for any help. :wacko:

OK. Did not mean to be smart. I thought you were joking. I'm sorry.

NYEdge,

The 6 CD's for the CD player are completly seperate from the Navi DVD.

The 6 CD's load from the top.

The Navi DVD loads in a seperate slot that only is seen when you tell the unit to load the DVD. The screen then tilts to the horizontal position, and you load in the DVD slot.

The unit has both the 6CD's plus the Navi DVD in it, all at the same time, but in different places. Yes, you can listen to the 6 CD's while you navigate with the Navi DVD. You never have to unload the Navi DVD (unless you want to upgrad in later years).

When you start up the car (as long as the Navi DVD is loaded), the screen asks gives you all kinds of warnings and asks you if you accept. When you touch "Accept", the map comes up on the screen. You can go to other screens (radio, menu, settings, etc without hitting accept) and when you go back to the Navi screen, the maps are still there. You can only set everything in Navi while at a standstill - not while moving. Some Navi settings you can set, but not everything, while moving.

If you don't want to use the Navi unit, just push Mode and go direct to the radio band (am, fm, cd, sr, etc) you want.

Lastly, the Navi Disc is always on. Even if you turn the whole radio off, and your screen is blank, you can still hear the Navi DVD turning. Only if you remove the DVD will everything be off. If you remove the DVD for any reason, I think I read that you will lose the information you had programmed, but not sure as I have not, and will not remove the DVD.

The Navi unit does not give you the vehicle speed (thats what the car speedometer is for) or the altitude (which I miss), however a couple days ago, I checked the car speedometer with a Roadmate 760 that I use in my Continental and the speedometer was right on the money. Don't know how it will be in the Edge/MKX but on my MKZ, it is spot on.

Lastly, I've had my MKZ Navi unit for three and a half months now, and I'm still learning how to set it, how to program it and how to use it.

You will not be sorry your ordered it. I'm very happy with mine.

OK. Did not mean to be smart. I thought you were joking. I'm sorry.

NYEdge,

The 6 CD's for the CD player are completly seperate from the Navi DVD.

The 6 CD's load from the top.

The Navi DVD loads in a seperate slot that only is seen when you tell the unit to load the DVD. The screen then tilts to the horizontal position, and you load in the DVD slot.

The unit has both the 6CD's plus the Navi DVD in it, all at the same time, but in different places. Yes, you can listen to the 6 CD's while you navigate with the Navi DVD. You never have to unload the Navi DVD (unless you want to upgrad in later years).

When you start up the car (as long as the Navi DVD is loaded), the screen asks gives you all kinds of warnings and asks you if you accept. When you touch "Accept", the map comes up on the screen. You can go to other screens (radio, menu, settings, etc without hitting accept) and when you go back to the Navi screen, the maps are still there. You can only set everything in Navi while at a standstill - not while moving. Some Navi settings you can set, but not everything, while moving.

If you don't want to use the Navi unit, just push Mode and go direct to the radio band (am, fm, cd, sr, etc) you want.

Lastly, the Navi Disc is always on. Even if you turn the whole radio off, and your screen is blank, you can still hear the Navi DVD turning. Only if you remove the DVD will everything be off. If you remove the DVD for any reason, I think I read that you will lose the information you had programmed, but not sure as I have not, and will not remove the DVD.

The Navi unit does not give you the vehicle speed (thats what the car speedometer is for) or the altitude (which I miss), however a couple days ago, I checked the car speedometer with a Roadmate 760 that I use in my Continental and the speedometer was right on the money. Don't know how it will be in the Edge/MKX but on my MKZ, it is spot on.

Lastly, I've had my MKZ Navi unit for three and a half months now, and I'm still learning how to set it, how to program it and how to use it.

You will not be sorry your ordered it. I'm very happy with mine.

Hey Bob thanks for the info.

This clears up my concerns.

One last question though.

I understand that the unit should play a dvd movie as well. (not while driving)

If I wanted to install rear headrest screens (bammer roof) in the future, assuming that there are dvd out-puts for that, would the navigation dvd have to be removed to play the movie?

Real world scenario:

I'm using the navigation while on a road trip and the kids want to watch a movie in the rear while we drive.

Can the unit perform both at the same time?

Possible or not possible?

Thank for the info.

I have a question also. Of course, I have never owned a vehicle with a navi. I do want the navi with my Edge, which I plan to buy in the future...

I also want Serius radio! So, how does the satelite radio work with Navi?

All-in-one kinda thing?

Thanks to anyone who could answer!

:reading:

If you have Sirius satellite radio and a navigation unit, you press the "Media" button and then choose "SR" (for satellite radio) from "AM" "FM1" "FM2" "CD" "SR" "LINE IN" using the touch screen. You can then use tune up/down to select the channels, and set presets. You have 3 groups of presets you can choose. You can also use the touch screen to scroll through channel names, or select by music type. Otherwise works just like FM or a CD with volume, etc. SR is very nice and works well with the navigation unit.

Hey Bob thanks for the info.

This clears up my concerns.

One last question though.

I understand that the unit should play a dvd movie as well. (not while driving)

If I wanted to install rear headrest screens (bammer roof) in the future, assuming that there are dvd out-puts for that, would the navigation dvd have to be removed to play the movie?

Real world scenario:

I'm using the navigation while on a road trip and the kids want to watch a movie in the rear while we drive.

Can the unit perform both at the same time?

Possible or not possible?

Thank for the info.

I have the navigation unit and the dual headrest mounted DVD players. The navigation unit DVD player only holds the digital map. A prior post described that it requires a special eject and insert sequence to update with a new map. It will not play movies. The navigation unit does not control the rear headrest DVDs.

The headrest DVD players are very nice, frankly much nicer than the stock roof mounted DVD. The viewing angle is nicer and nothing obstructs the driver's rear view. You get 2 indpendent players ( A and B ). You get 2 remotes and 2 wireless headphones. The headrests replace the factory headrests. Wires go through the metal posts into the seat for power. You load the DVD through a slot on the top of each head rest. You can watch 2 different shows, or select the source to be either player A or B so both passengers see the same movie. I suggest setting the headphones to the player directly in front of the passenger for best sound. You can play the sound through the stereo by using an FM transmitter. I think it is only in headrest A. You have 5 or 6 different FM frequencies you can choose. Sound is quite good, even with FM. Each remote is full function. Front seat can point remotes at back roof and control players (but his has to be done sight unseen, or asking your passengers (kids)). LCD screens look good and can tilt to adjust view. Video source can also be external through an RCA plug.

Don't believe Ford (or the Navi manufacturer) would allow a movie DVD to work in the Navi slot. You can try, but don't believe it could/would happen.

Everything else - Ditto to what UltraHertz said above.

I've never seen a DVD-based navi NOT be able to play DVD's.

The vehicle canNOT be in motion while the movie is going though. As soon as you put it in a gear, the movie will stop playing.

If you have Sirius satellite radio and a navigation unit, you press the "Media" button and then choose "SR" (for satellite radio) from "AM" "FM1" "FM2" "CD" "SR" "LINE IN" using the touch screen. You can then use tune up/down to select the channels, and set presets. You have 3 groups of presets you can choose. You can also use the touch screen to scroll through channel names, or select by music type. Otherwise works just like FM or a CD with volume, etc. SR is very nice and works well with the navigation unit.

Awesome! Thanks!

I cannot wait!

Can anyone tell me the Manufacturer of the DVD Navi System? I can't find that info anywhere and I would much appreciate it.

I'd also like to thank ALL of those people who own an Edge and are willing to contribute information to those of us waiting for ours, or to those who are trying to decide if this is the vehicle for them!

Can anyone tell me the Manufacturer of the DVD Navi System? I can't find that info anywhere and I would much appreciate it.

I'd also like to thank ALL of those people who own an Edge and are willing to contribute information to those of us waiting for ours, or to those who are trying to decide if this is the vehicle for them!

The navigation system is custom made by Pioneer for Ford. Since it is not a consumer unit, the Pioneer web site doesn't have a manual. The headrest DVDs are made by Invision, and are customized for Ford.

FYI, the navigation manual describes how to update with a new map DVD. When you eject the map DVD, the whole faceplate of the player folds open to reveal a special map DVD slot. I would not suggest even trying this to play a movie DVD.

The navigation system is custom made by Pioneer for Ford. Since it is not a consumer unit, the Pioneer web site doesn't have a manual. The headrest DVDs are made by Invision, and are customized for Ford.

FYI, the navigation manual describes how to update with a new map DVD. When you eject the map DVD, the whole faceplate of the player folds open to reveal a special map DVD slot. I would not suggest even trying this to play a movie DVD.

Thanks Ultrahertz.....you not only answered my question but you also saved me some time from trying to search out more info on the Nav system. BIG PROPS to you!!! Thanks again! :rockon: