full synthetic to semi?

question  after my first 5000 miles on my edge i had dealer use full synthetic now 5000 miles later i had to bring car in cause i was gettin no engagement when pressin gas turns out i had a trans leak somewhere but was gettin no fluid on ground thats  why i had loss of power when accelerating but only had car for 9 months they said it  weird but anyway i had oil change scheduled for couple days but while they serviced car they did oil change without me knowing which is fine but they put semi synthetic in after putting full synthetic first time i heard once you put in full syn you have to stay full syn is that true? also will i be able to change back to full synthetic next time around or do have to use semi for now on. tia

11 minutes ago, todd92 said:

You heard wrong.  All oils are compatible with each other.  Also, if you are going to change your oil every 5000 miles, full synthetic is not necessary.

really why isnt it necessary i know full syn can go for about 7500 miles or so but with the turbo wouldnt you want to change it earlier just bein cautious dont want carbon buildup on turbos you know

2 minutes ago, THE_BOLT said:

I don't care what oil you use...I would never take any of them over 5000 miles! 

ya i hear ya people say you dont need to change it until like 7500 miles but with the turbo i dont want carbon buildup so tryin to change it as early as i can

15 minutes ago, todd92 said:

You heard wrong.  All oils are compatible with each other.  Also, if you are going to change your oil every 5000 miles, full synthetic is not necessary.

my dealer recommended every 6000 but im being a lil cautious if i wait for the oil life monitor it will be like 10,000 miles dont wanna wait that long

Edited by Matthew123

Exactly right!   Turbo engines are harder on oil!  Changing your oil before 5000 miles is cheap insurance for your engine.  I drive 50 miles to work one way...15 miles are side roads and the rest are highway.   I used to run Mobil 1 but now I run rotella...both full synthetic.  I also have a catch can installed.  Mine is actually a 2016 Sport.  The oil life percentage has never been below 30% when i change it

1 minute ago, THE_BOLT said:

The motocraft semi synthetic is what was made for it so it won't hurt a thing.  Its cheaper to buy your own oil and do it yourself...just make sure to stick with the motocraft oil filter 

ya i get ya but i dont pay anything right now been using ford points for last 2 changes but eventually i will have to they charge about $60 for the full syn change which isnt bad

Just now, THE_BOLT said:

Also mine is still under warranty...i take the catch can off before I take it in for warranty work just so they can't give me an excuse to void my warranty 

ah ok is it just a can or is it a whole kit i seen kits for like $300 or so. can i just use like a raviolli can

• Haha 1

Actually you are correct.  They did go dual injection starting in 2017...which i have to admit im a little jealous since mine is a 16.  But after seeing what a catch can collects instead of it going back into your engine...I'm going to basically put one on any vehicle I buy new from here on!

20 minutes ago, Matthew123 said:

i heard ford fixed the problem  for 2017 and newer so you wont need a catch can anymore

Ford addressed the issue in their 2018-2019 F150s. Possibly the 2017s. The edge engine has not change from 2015. The difference between the Sport and the ST is the tune.

1 minute ago, THE_BOLT said:

Actually you are correct.  They did go dual injection starting in 2017...which i have to admit im a little jealous since mine is a 16.  But after seeing what a catch can collects instead of it going back into your engine...I'm going to basically put one on any vehicle I buy new from here on!

yup i hear ya

1 minute ago, onyxbfly said:

Ford addressed the issue in their 2018-2019 F150s. Possibly the 2017s. The edge engine has not change from 2015. The difference between the Sport and the ST is the tune.

ah ok so does the edge engine have the carbon buildup or was it just the f150 that was having the problem

Just now, Matthew123 said:

ah ok so does the edge engine have the carbon buildup or was it just the f150 that was having the problem

Both engines suffer from the same ailment. But since the pick ups is Ford's bread and butter they rectified the issue...edge not so much. Or rather as they learn from their mistakes they made changes during the MY production cycle. For example the plastic oil pan debacle....Ford rectified it for the F150 and incorporated the oil pan change into the edge 2018+MY.

3 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Both engines suffer from the same ailment. But since the pick ups is Ford's bread and butter they rectified the issue...edge not so much. Or rather as they learn from their mistakes they made changes during the MY production cycle. For example the plastic oil pan debacle....Ford rectified it for the F150 and incorporated the oil pan change into the edge 2018+MY.

shoot was hopin it wasnt a problem anymore with the edge now a catch can wont help prevent carbon buildup right? that just filters out all the junk oil right  is there anything you can do on the 2.0 ecoboost that can prevent carbon buildup?

1 minute ago, Matthew123 said:

shoot was hopin it wasnt a problem anymore with the edge now a catch can wont help prevent carbon buildup right? that just filters out all the junk oil right  is there anything you can do on the 2.0 ecoboost that can prevent carbon buildup?

The catch can will help prevent build up! A ravioli can not so much......