Where is the SelectShift "shift indicator lamp"?

BillE

Page 12 of the FORD EDGE ST SUPPLEMENT provided with the owners manual (see attached), states that when using the paddle shifters you should take notice of the "shift indicator lamp" which alerts you when to shift to help you achieve the optimum level of efficiency and fuel economy.  Where or what is the "shift indicator lamp" ?   Maybe the  paddles shifters will function better if shifts are made per the "shift indicator lamp" alerts.  Has anyone developed a technique for achieving a satisfactory 3rd to 4th shift (2nd gear might be part of the problem also) using the paddle shifters in the S mode?  

scan0362.pdf

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, joetr0 said:

Funny how it says that the vehicle doesn't automatically shift gears if approaching redline.  I call b.s. on that; due to 2nd and 3rd being stupidly identical, the vehicle shifts for me (while using the paddle shifters in sport mode).

Some vehicles up shift at redline, others don’t.  My 2000 Lincoln LS was the first selectshift vehicle and it would just bounce off the rev limiter.  It’s not consistent from vehicle to vehicle.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Some vehicles up shift at redline, others don’t.  My 2000 Lincoln LS was the first selectshift vehicle and it would just bounce off the rev limiter.  It’s not consistent from vehicle to vehicle.

Ok, that makes sense...  Do you know by chance; whether or not the PCM learns driving habits while using the paddle shifters?  Almost same idea as a trans flash...

2 hours ago, joetr0 said:

Ok, that makes sense...  Do you know by chance; whether or not the PCM learns driving habits while using the paddle shifters?  Almost same idea as a trans flash...

That’s a common misconception.  Ford transmissions don’t learn driving habits.  They check each shift and compare it to factory spec.  If it’s out of spec it adjusts the pressure for the next shift.  This is by gear, rpm and throttle position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s a common misconception.  Ford transmissions don’t learn driving habits.  They check each shift and compare it to factory spec.  If it’s out of spec it adjusts the pressure for the next shift.  This is by gear, rpm and throttle position.

Thank you!  This is very useful information.  Since the shifting points for this vehicle are confusing, silly and redundant; would an aftermarket tune have beneficial properties that minimize the weird shifting?  Also, perhaps you would know or could point me in the direction of any future TCBs that pertain to the transmission?  Tyi.

1 hour ago, joetr0 said:

Thank you!  This is very useful information.  Since the shifting points for this vehicle are confusing, silly and redundant; would an aftermarket tune have beneficial properties that minimize the weird shifting?  Also, perhaps you would know or could point me in the direction of any future TCBs that pertain to the transmission?  Tyi.

Aftermarket tunes can change the shift characteristics but who knows if it’s better or worse.  Depends on where the problem is.  I don’t have any inside track on a TSBs.  Someone will usually post them here.