Should I be worried about water pump?

Yash s.

I have a 2013 Ford Edge with the 3.5 V6 with a little over 50k miles. Should I be worried about the water pump failing on me? I'm starting to get worried about this since my car is getting older, and now isn't the time that I want to spend a lot of money to fix my car. Does this issue come with time or mileage? Or both?  

You actually have several things going for you.  The 2013 has the improved (new seals/bearings) water pump for starters.  You're also aware of the potential issue so I'll guess you've changed your coolant at least once with the correct color for your year and are using pure synthetic motor oil.  Those two items go a long way toward protecting not only the pump but your entire engine.  

• Like 3

Don't worry, take action! ?

Never too early to change fluids.  Especially when it is nused / you are not the first owner.

Change:  transmission, coolant, power steering, and brake fluids.  There is potential for saving a lot of headaches down the road.

Also consider changing spark plugs at the very least, and cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body.

2 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Don't worry, take action! ?

Never too early to change fluids.  Especially when it is nused / you are not the first owner.

Change:  transmission, coolant, power steering, and brake fluids.  There is potential for saving a lot of headaches down the road.

Also consider changing spark plugs at the very least, and cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body.

Thankfully, I am the first owner. I changed the tranny fluid about 20k miles ago, and I got my brake fluid changed recently. Now all I have to do is change the coolant and power steering fluid. The manual says change the spark plugs at 100k miles, so I'll probably do it around 80k(unless one of you guys recommended to do it earlier). 

Edited by Yash s.
  • Like 1

5/60k is a good rule of thumb for any maintenance items on the powertrain really.  Fluids or plugs or pcv valve  or ...  If your Edge experiences "normal" driving conditions as defined by Ford, you can stretch that 60K to 100K for most things.  EXCEPT the AWD fluids, particularly PTU.

Note that Ford's maintenance intervals for FIRST change are long, but SUBSEQUENT intervals fall back to the 5/60 rule.  So why not do it from the start?  Really, the powertrain, when given regular, basic maintenance should hold up rather well.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:50 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

5/60k is a good rule of thumb for any maintenance items on the powertrain really.  Fluids or plugs or pcv valve  or ...  If your Edge experiences "normal" driving conditions as defined by Ford, you can stretch that 60K to 100K for most things.  EXCEPT the AWD fluids, particularly PTU.

Note that Ford's maintenance intervals for FIRST change are long, but SUBSEQUENT intervals fall back to the 5/60 rule.  So why not do it from the start?  Really, the powertrain, when given regular, basic maintenance should hold up rather well.

I'll probably do those soon then! I'm pretty happy with the powertrain besides the water pump issue. It's really reliable for an American car!