Headlights not working

Hi. I have a 2014 Edge and all of a sudden my headlights won’t come on, neither of them. And when I turn the brights on I heard a hard clicking sound and they don’t come on either. I did a little research and i found that it might be the body control module needs resetting?  Help!

Check for codes first.  You should use a scanner that reads both HS-CAN and MS-CAN buses.  May be a fault in the FLM (headlight switch) or something deeper.

The clicking is the shutters that change the headlights from "low" to "high" mode, can you see them move at all?

Do you have manual or auto headlamps?

• Like 1

hid or halogen?  did you change from halogen to hid/led?  changing from halogen to hid especially in some cases can cause the BCM to overload, probably a protection transistor or diode that blew.  The FLM/headlamp switch could still be at fault.

• While moving the headlamp switch through all positions, monitor the FLM headlamp switch input PID (LT_SW).
  • Do the headlamp switch positions agree with the PID?
Yes
GO to C4 .

No
INSTALL a new FLM

The switch may be blown.

PIDs are how module functions are monitored.  You need an OBD II adapter + Forscan Lite software to monitor PID data.  Plug the adapter into the OBD port under the dash, load up the software on your smartphone/tablet, connect the software to the adapter, add a PID to monitor data (in this case, the PID is LT_SW).  Check to see what the PID states each time you change the position of the switch.  It should correspond.

There are videos on YT on how to set up and use Forscan Lite, if you want to do this.

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 9:07 AM, trr said:

Hi. I have a 2014 Edge and all of a sudden my headlights won’t come on, neither of them. And when I turn the brights on I heard a hard clicking sound and they don’t come on either. I did a little research and i found that it might be the body control module needs resetting?  Help!

Did you ever fix the problem? 

On 9/6/2020 at 2:07 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

hid or halogen?  did you change from halogen to hid/led?  changing from halogen to hid especially in some cases can cause the BCM to overload, probably a protection transistor or diode that blew.  The FLM/headlamp switch could still be at fault.

• While moving the headlamp switch through all positions, monitor the FLM headlamp switch input PID (LT_SW).
  • Do the headlamp switch positions agree with the PID?
Yes
GO to C4 .

No
INSTALL a new FLM

What program are you using for that trouble tree?

• 7 months later...