Mobil 1 no longer meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A?!

Edgingage

Hi folks:

I was browsing around several other fora, and also did some search to see where it was more appropriate to post this info/question.  I decided to post it here because I'm more familiar with this forum, but I'm afraid that many other year model owners with the same interest may be left out.  Moderators please feel free to move this post/thread to a more suitable forum if you believe so.

Have you folks been aware/noticed that Mobil 1 is no longer meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A?

I noticed they changed the Mobil 1 engine filter packaging to a smaller filter size (ok?).  I also noticed they changed the motor oil container to a bigger size (that's a better size!).  But then I noticed that the same motor oil I've always bought to change it in my 2011 Edge SEL (Mobil 1 5W-20 Advanced Synthetic Motor Oil) was no longer listed among the approved oils in my local store.  So, I checked the new 4.73L oil package label and, fair enough, Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A is not listed in the new package label of the same motor oil as "Meets or exceeds the requirements of: -Ford WSS-M2C9XX-X."

I double checked my 2011 Edge Owner's Guide: Maintenance and Specifications, page 329 reads: "...or equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A".  It was listed as meeting specs in the previous 4.4L package label...

My questions to you folks:

- Is anybody aware of this change, Mobil 1 no longer meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A?

- If anyone knew, out of my curiosity, can I know why? (did Ford miss the deadline to submit the required paperwork, did the specs for the 2011 Edge change, did Mobil 1 change oil formulation and Ford didn't accept it...?)

- Most importantly: can somebody pitch in his opinion regarding if it's still safe for us to continue using this oil in our vehicles despite no longer meeting Ford specs for our vehicles?

Aloud thoughts and comments are all welcome and always very appreciated in advance.

Edited by Edgingage