Winter Tires

Drunklahey

I'm looking to buy the new Michelin X-ice SUV Snow tires.  I have a 19' Titanium.  Stock tires are P245/55 R19.  I'm going to go with 18" for the winter.  Looking for suggestions / opinions on whether its better to go slightly narrower with 235's instead.  I know thinner tires are better in the snow but is this car big and heavy enough that it needs the width of a 245 tire ?

We recently had a very illuminating discussion on wider tires and benefit on dry and detriment in snow and on ice.  I decided  to link you directly to the thread in its entirety than rather one particular post over the other because I think the entire thread is beneficial.  Different schools of thought and facts vs opinions etc. Enjoy

4 hours ago, Drunklahey said:

I'm looking to buy the new Michelin X-ice SUV Snow tires.  I have a 19' Titanium.  Stock tires are P245/55 R19.  I'm going to go with 18" for the winter.  Looking for suggestions / opinions on whether its better to go slightly narrower with 235's instead.  I know thinner tires are better in the snow but is this car big and heavy enough that it needs the width of a 245 tire ?

If you can find a 235 width snow tire close to the same diameter you are definitely better off going slightly narrower. Just look at the load rating of the tires you are considering. You will find that 235's can handle the weight of the Edge and then some.

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

If you can find a 235 width snow tire close to the same diameter you are definitely better off going slightly narrower. Just look at the load rating of the tires you are considering. You will find that 235's can handle the weight of the Edge and then some.

Thanks. I figured 235's were ok I'm guessing thats what the SE and SEL's come with.  Thinking 235/60R18/XL 107T for size.  Anyone know anything about the new Michelin's ?  I've always used the Latitude X-ice Xi2 on our SUV's and loved them but Michelin just came out with a new X-Ice SNOW winter tire and I'd like to try those.  Nobody seems to have them in stock yet.

https://www.michelin.ca/en/tires/x-ice/x-ice-snow.html