Transmission Fluid Color After Drain and Change

Dmtaurus

I have a 2015 Edge SE with the 2.0 automatic and front wheel drive set-up.  It has 71,000 miles and there is no shifting or leaking problems with it.  I drained the fluid 2 months ago for the first drain and fill fluid change.  I then put about 500 miles on it and did a second change.  I then just did a drain and refill again, about 500 miles since the second, and the fluid still looks extremely dark with just a hint of ruby red color.  The total amount of fluid I have used so far is about 14 quarts.

The fluid I used is Walmart Mercon 6 LV for Fords.

I saw somewhere that these Edge transmissions turn the fluid dark, even after a short time period.  I have also performed the same change process on my 2013 Taurus and it's fluid color still is ruby red after each change.

Is this fluid color normal for these Edge transmissions?

Should I go to the dealer and now have a complete internal chemical cleaning, and flush, and refill?  At about $28.00 for each drain and refill it is becoming a little pricey. 

Edited by Dmtaurus
grammar

If you use Mercon LV fluid, expect it to brown pretty quickly.  Pretty normal.  You will need to complete at least 4 drain/fills to get the brown-age out and the red/pink back in. Not a big deal as long as the fluid smells normal and contains no debris.

If you had used Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic MultiVehicle fluid however, it would have stayed red, like Mercon V does.

Avoid chemical cleaning, generally no need for it.  Yes, it costs money to do the fluid service, but much cheaper DIY, and gives your trans a long happy life :)

• Like 1