top down oil change

docman

Oil filler?  If possible, it would be through the dipstick, not the oil filler.  If you can get all of the oil out through the dipstick, it works.  If you can't it doesn't.  I think I read it is not possible on the 2.7 in my 2015 F-150, no idea if that translates across platforms.

1 hour ago, todd92 said:

Oil filler?  If possible, it would be through the dipstick, not the oil filler.  If you can get all of the oil out through the dipstick, it works.  If you can't it doesn't.  I think I read it is not possible on the 2.7 in my 2015 F-150, no idea if that translates across platforms.

Edited by docman
duplication of reply

To be honest, I haven't had the car very long. I haven't looked at the oil dipstick (or location) yet, although I have installed a JLT oil catch can soon after I took delivery.

My Jaguar had an electronic "dipstick" which showed the level in the instrument screen.  Centrally located under the oil filler cap was a 1/4" diam. tube (resembles a dipstick tube) which was used for extracting the old oil. I know modern BMW's also are set-up for top down oil changes.  I've already got the pump, it would be great if I could use it on my Nautilus 2.7.  Sure makes oil changes clean, simple & safe.

Thanks handfiler, exactly what I needed to see!  I guess my previous car having topside access to everything needed for an oil change, kind of spoiled me.

I see that you too, have a Nautilus 2.7.  I haven't crawled under the vehicle yet & I'm curious as to whether there are belly shrouds that need removing to access the drain plug, considering Lincoln's attention to noise abatement?

I'm debating whether or not to have the dealer perform my 1st oil change.  I usually do it myself insuring the job is done right, using quality oil, but lately my back has been giving me trouble. I am also a little concerned that the oil separator I installed might present a issue regarding my warranty.  I've already had the car at the dealer for interior issues, it's not likely that they opened the hood.

Also, do owners typically use a new drain plug with each oil change?

"Also, do owners typically use a new drain plug with each oil change?" - The dealerships don't replace the drain plug and many here have reported that they've done many oil changes without replacing the plug.

I have a new one on hand bought on Amazon for around $5, but at 3.5 years and 61K miles with oil change intervals of 5K miles, I haven't seen the need to use my new standby plug.

Try a forum search for any additional queries you have.

Edited by 1004ron

3 hours ago, docman said:

Thanks handfiler, exactly what I needed to see!  I guess my previous car having topside access to everything needed for an oil change, kind of spoiled me.

I see that you too, have a Nautilus 2.7.  I haven't crawled under the vehicle yet & I'm curious as to whether there are belly shrouds that need removing to access the drain plug, considering Lincoln's attention to noise abatement?

I'm debating whether or not to have the dealer perform my 1st oil change.  I usually do it myself insuring the job is done right, using quality oil, but lately my back has been giving me trouble. I am also a little concerned that the oil separator I installed might present a issue regarding my warranty.  I've already had the car at the dealer for interior issues, it's not likely that they opened the hood.

Also, do owners typically use a new drain plug with each oil change?

It has an under body cover but the oil pan area is open for easy access to the drain plug. I added a quick drain valve to make oil changes a little cleaner/simpler. The factory drain plug is rather large in diameter and will drain the oil pan in a few seconds and can result in more oil on the floor than in the collection pan if your not mindful.