Oil Catch Can Install - Valve Cleaning

Armorer1984

So after trading in our 2014 Escape with 189,000 miles and a failing 6F35 transmission, we decided to go with a 2018 Edge. It has 44,000 on it with the 2.0 Ecoboost. After doing a bunch of reading about oil catch cans, I decided this thing would be worth doing as the Escape had developed a rough idle in its later miles and I always wondered why. Now I have a better idea why that was probably the case.

I started this journey after pulling the lower inlet pipe off to do a drain and fill on the PTU. Noticing a bit of oil inside, I started reading up on oil catch cans and their benefits, especially for turbocharged engines. Today, with my el-cheapo catch can in hand, I tore off the intake manifold to find these lovely valves.

501460233_IMAG14501.thumb.jpg.eba7e2a574e4a8edd66f6c272188cee3.jpg

Yucky, and the photos don't really do it justice. And this is only 44,000 miles. I can't imagine what it looked like on that Escape with 189k.

So I set to work. To clean the intake valves, I got some CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner. I'm not a fan of blowing it down the engine while it's running, but I figured I could use it to soak the backsides of the valves while they were closed. I was able to position the crank so I could flood the intake of cyls 1, 3, and 4 with the cleaner and got to work. While I fabri-cobbled an OCC mounting bracket, I let the valves marinade for a while and once I felt it was time to move on, I rigged a shop vac up to my vacuum brake bleeder and stuck a plastic drinking straw in the end. I was able to suck the cleaner out and took with it a whole bunch of gunk from the valves. So much so, in fact, that multiple times the straw or tubing became clogged and I had to disassemble the rig and reverse-purge the line with the air compressor. Yikes.The last little bits needed some mechanical love, so I used the end of the drinking straw (again, the plastic kind) to gently scrape and scratch the last little bits of gunk off before flushing and sucking out the cleaner a couple more times. After those holes were clean, I turned the crank over to do the same on #2. After that, I removed the hard PCV line, shoved on some 11/32 transmission line, and routed it to my OCC location on the passenger-side motor mount. Put 'er all back together and went for a test drive.

I gotta say, even just a short 15-mile drive left a gassy-oily film on the inside of the OCC. I'm interested to see what it catches long-term. Anything has to be better than gumming up the intakes like that.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the project with you guys. Highly recommended to put a can on there and do a valve cleaning while you have it opened up.The can I got was $30 on Amazon with prime shipping so I didn't break the bank, by any means.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, lildisco said:

I don't see any 'sale' prices.  Even when added to my cart.  Also my engine bay isn't the same as the one pictured for the install. My engine bay is the 1st one. 

I called and this year they'll not be offering the usual 10% discount, only a T-shirt.

Use "vinny5" on checkout for a 5% discount.

Called & spoke with Vinny & he said that he wasn't 100% sure things would fit & was already looking at the different mounting location as my engine bay is different than the 19 he installed.  I advised him that I would be HIGHLY interested in getting a 'pre production' kit, but I don't trust myself enough to engineer something is things didn't fit correctly.  He basically said to stay tuned & the Edge 2.0 & Fusion 2.0 are his big sellers, so it'd only be a matter of time till he starts producing some more kits.

• Like 1