Really poor fuel economy

12edgetx

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2012 with the Ecoboost thinking I would average low to mid 20s mpg.  After about 3 months I am averaging 17.3 mpg:( 

Can someone give a me a checklist, in order, of things to look for that would be causing such poor fuel economy?

For example:

1) Check tire pressure

2) Check tire alignment

3) etc

I'd really like to get this solved as I love the car but am going to get rid of it if I can't get better mpg.

There are so many factors that determine mpg especially ecoboosts. How much stop and go? Do you vary speed alot? How much idling? Are heavy footed when accelerating? You can try air filter, spark plugs and premium fuel but no guarantee it will help. The 2.0ls can do 30mpg or more on the highway but in the city unless you have long distances of cruising getting over 20mpg US is a tall ask for any bigger suv or full size car. 

If you live in Canada and are comparing the gauge mpg to the CAD claimed mpg, don't. The dash shows US mpg in which case you are getting the mpg you expected since CAD mpg is roughly 30 percent higher due to the larger gallon..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ive got a 2020 2.0 titanium edition.. My work is 2 miles away..im in delaware..all stores are 5 to 10 away..i have 5400 miles on mine my average for the whole time is 17.1mpg...i went on vacation for 3 weeks..let my 71 year old mother drive us to the airport and use my edge the whole time..she put 390miles on it and now it says 16.9mpg.

Edge is a heavy vehicle for a 2.0 eco boost..you milage is right