Catch Can - Single or Dual valve

1Stringy

Howdy, I am just about to take delivery of my new to me 2019 Edge ST in performance blue with the 401a package.

After looking through, I want to get a catch can to help mitigate some of the potential valve coking.

Is there a measurable benefit to the Dual Valve [[PCV+CCS] system offered by TeamRXP or is the Simple single valve system offered by JLT generally "good enough"?

I don't plan on going crazy while the car is still under factory warranty, maybe later ?

Thanks again in advance for your opinions and thoughts on the subject...

Craig

Ford should be metering the cleanside on ecoboosts to prevent blowback, the most benefit is always from the dirty/PCV side of the system.  RXP will maximize results of course, but the JLT system should do quite well.  Make sure it is easy to drain, as that is a required maintenance point.  Mount catchcan to fender area or similar "cold" location in the engine bay.  Otherwise summertime "catch" will be low yield compared to winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dajo2012 said:

I have the JLT in my ST and my F150.  Both are very easy to remove can to drain using JLT recommended location. Both are catching oil. I just can not pay the high price for the more complicated system.  Install of JLT is very easy. 

I also have the JLT on my Sport which I installed early in its life and recently when I changed spark plugs at 62K miles I looked into the combustion chamber and there was zero fouling, could even read the numbers on the piston crowns - I don't drive hard and use only Costco top tier premium.

At the same time I changed the plugs on my wife's 3.7L V6 Mustang and for that you need to remove the intake plenum and it had more oil in it than I like, so next week when JLT have their annual Black Friday 10% discount I'll be getting a catch can for the Mustang.

On both vehicles I also installed new PCV valves, just to be sure and they're only $8 each for Motorcraft OEM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dajo2012 said:

I have the JLT in my ST and my F150.  Both are very easy to remove can to drain using JLT recommended location. Both are catching oil. I just can not pay the high price for the more complicated system.  Install of JLT is very easy. 

The high price was the reason for my question, I haven't seen too many people using the TeamRXP report their findings.

My new acquisition has 9500 miles, so I wanted to get on this immediately and the install of the JLT system looks really simple.

Thanks

2 hours ago, 1004ron said:

I also have the JLT on my Sport which I installed early in its life and recently when I changed spark plugs at 62K miles I looked into the combustion chamber and there was zero fouling, could even read the numbers on the piston crowns - I don't drive hard and use only Costco top tier premium.

At the same time I changed the plugs on my wife's 3.7L V6 Mustang and for that you need to remove the intake plenum and it had more oil in it than I like, so next week when JLT have their annual Black Friday 10% discount I'll be getting a catch can for the Mustang.

On both vehicles I also installed new PCV valves, just to be sure and they're only $8 each for Motorcraft OEM.

Yes the BlackFriday sale is a motivating factor to getting my order in for the JLT, but wanted to be sure the single side system was sufficient for the job.

I pick up my ST this Saturday and with 9500 miles, I should be good for many fun miles to come.. 

I should check my Wife's '17 Flex with the 3.5L, not enough miles to do any major maintenance but I can look at the PCV tube as it enters the plenum.

Thanks again.

Craig

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Money talks i guess lol.  But the RXP system is top notch, just most people won't need it on the transverse engines.

Yeah, I don't think it is all about just the money, it is the value prop offered by that extra $300... from the info here, it doesn't seem to be there...

I'm running a UPR 4 stage catch can on the PVC side only. It's a similar setup to the JLT and seems to do just fine. It collects oil and the exit side is always clean and dry. I prefer to run mine without the check valves. No check valves = no potential check valve failures.

I had a JLT plug and play setup on my Mustang prior to switching both cars over to the UPR systems. My advice would be to go with the JLT plug and play setup. It's simple and it works.

• Thanks 1