MPG??????

npggirl

Tire size has an effect on the finally gear ratio to the road. Smaller tires give more mechanical advantage vs. larger tires.

Larger diameter tires (has nothing to do with the wheel size) cause the engine to run at a lower RPM than smaller tires at a given speed. Therefore, everything else being equal (rolling resistance, weight, etc.) a larger tire should yield better FE than a smaller tire.

However, I don't think the difference would be noticeable under most conditions.

The point was that smaller tires won't improve fuel economy and could actually decrease it.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that for all things being equal .... engine, transmission, etc... that 3 things effect MPG the most:

1) Driving Style

2) Weight

3) Friction

With #3 being effected by the tire size, there would seem to be no physical way a wider tire could get better MPG then one that was narrower.

I thought that for all things being equal .... engine, transmission, etc... that 3 things effect MPG the most:

1) Driving Style

2) Weight

3) Friction

With #3 being effected by the tire size, there would seem to be no physical way a wider tire could get better MPG then one that was narrower.

Wider? If you notice the tire sizes above, they go from 235 to 245 so you're only gaining 10 mm of width (4.2%) going from the 17 to the 18 or 20 inch wheels. That is not enough to make a noticeable difference in fuel economy. In fact the tire compound and tire pressure have WAY more impact than 10 mm would. Most of the friction comes from the air and trying to push a brick through it rather than from the tires. That's why the mileage drops so much when you go from 65 to 75 or 85 - takes a lot of power to push that air out of the way.

I have been reading a lot of topics concerning MPG, but I don't see any mention of the average speed of the vehicle (nifty little feature on your computer). The average speed is what really sets the MPG (ie. city stop and go vs Highway). THere is obviously going to be differences between people depending on how fast they are really going and how long they remain idle for (ie lights and traffic). The computer keeps track of this. Here are my latest stats:

City @ an average speed of 18-21 miles/hr I am getting 12-14 MPG

Highway @ and average speed of 55-62 miles/hr I am getting 21-23 MPG.

I have been reading a lot of topics concerning MPG, but I don't see any mention of the average speed of the vehicle (nifty little feature on your computer). The average speed is what really sets the MPG (ie. city stop and go vs Highway). THere is obviously going to be differences between people depending on how fast they are really going and how long they remain idle for (ie lights and traffic). The computer keeps track of this. Here are my latest stats:

City @ an average speed of 18-21 miles/hr I am getting 12-14 MPG

Highway @ and average speed of 55-62 miles/hr I am getting 21-23 MPG.

Matches my stats. I have a AWD SEL+ with 10,000 Miles. Somewhat annoyed my highway is 21-22, but I have AWD and when measured, also had A/C on Auto. So, it makes sense.

Wider? If you notice the tire sizes above, they go from 235 to 245 so you're only gaining 10 mm of width (4.2%) going from the 17 to the 18 or 20 inch wheels. That is not enough to make a noticeable difference in fuel economy. In fact the tire compound and tire pressure have WAY more impact than 10 mm would. Most of the friction comes from the air and trying to push a brick through it rather than from the tires. That's why the mileage drops so much when you go from 65 to 75 or 85 - takes a lot of power to push that air out of the way.

The extra weight with more rubber and more metal on the rims X 4 has got to factor into fuel economy with larger tires.

Edited by thehume

Matches my stats. I have a AWD SEL+ with 10,000 Miles. Somewhat annoyed my highway is 21-22, but I have AWD and when measured, also had A/C on Auto. So, it makes sense.

I have the same vehicle (SEL AWD). Good to hear you have the same stats. Couldn't believe the difference between city and highway. Thought it was just my car

• 1 year later...

I go to zero miles to empty almost every tank, just cuz I hate going to the gas station and standing in the cold........Counter-intuitive I know :finger::shift:

It does not go negative. I drove about 5 miles once when it said 0 miles to empty and even then the most I have filled up with was 19.7 gallons.

Start saving some $$ for a new fuel fump if you keep this up :)

I would hate to the next owner of your car....