MPG??????

npggirl

Hey all. I keep hearing not so great reviews on the MPG that the Edge is getting in the city. I mean, is it really that bad?

How congested is the city you live in?

If the sticker says approx 17 city, how can it be somewhere around 13 and 14 mpg city driving for a lot of folks?

How could the sticker be that far off?

What are all of you that have the edge experiencing??

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty much do exclusive city driving in a FWD MKX. If I go on the freeway it's for 3-5 miles at a time maybe a few times a week. I get about 17.5 mpg. On one tank I did about 30 miles on the freeway and it put me up to 19.8 mpg for the tank.

Ā 

I do notice that I get better milage if I have the mpg tracker on. I had to shut it off because I found myself coasting all of the time and driving like a grandpa (actual quote from a friend in the car).

I'm pretty much do exclusive city driving in a FWD MKX. If I go on the freeway it's for 3-5 miles at a time maybe a few times a week. I get about 17.5 mpg. On one tank I did about 30 miles on the freeway and it put me up to 19.8 mpg for the tank.

Ā 

I do notice that I get better milage if I have the mpg tracker on. I had to shut it off because I found myself coasting all of the time and driving like a grandpa (actual quote from a friend in the car).

Ā 

Ā 

lol! That was too funny. That is likely what I will do! LOL

:shades:

Keep us informed please with MPG. I would love to know what different people are getting....

This is apparently a HUGE topic right now. I keep hearing so many talk about the fact that the sticker MPG is so far off from what they are getting with city driving...

I live in a small city, not a TON of traffic...Not a little amount. Just right I guess.

So I wonder...

Ā 

I love the Edge, and I want it.

But I really hope that MPG is a lot better than what people are calculating so far.

Ā 

They are getting MPG like you would in a regular SUV....which does not make sense for a CUV....

right?

Ā 

If you have any ideas on what the problem is, I would love to hear those also...

Ā 

Thanks all...I love all my Ford friends on here..

So nice!

:yup:

Talking with a L-M Salesman filling up an MKX ready for delivery. I mentioned the poor gas milage being reported on the net. He answered the way a salesman should answer. "Oh our customers have been reporting great mileage". I think he is full of balderdash.

Ā 

BTW, the Fusion/MKZ gets no better than the Edge/MKX. I believe it is because of the great "6-speed transmissions". They use way too much gas when in the lower four gears, and they are geared way too low. If they had the four-speed transmission that my Continental has, these cars would get better mpg. My Continental gets better than the Edge and about the same as the Fusion.

Ā 

Note, the Fusion and Edge use different transmissions, although both are "6-speed". Fusion/MKZ use the Aisin-Warner and the Edge/MKX use the Ford (and GM) 6F.

Talking with a L-M Salesman filling up an MKX ready for delivery. I mentioned the poor gas milage being reported on the net. He answered the way a salesman should answer. "Oh our customers have been reporting great mileage". I think he is full of balderdash.

Ā 

BTW, the Fusion/MKZ gets no better than the Edge/MKX. I believe it is because of the great "6-speed transmissions". They use way too much gas when in the lower four gears, and they are geared way too low. If they had the four-speed transmission that my Continental has, these cars would get better mpg. My Continental gets better than the Edge and about the same as the Fusion.

Ā 

Note, the Fusion and Edge use different transmissions, although both are "6-speed". Fusion/MKZ use the Aisin-Warner and the Edge/MKX use the Ford (and GM) 6F.

Ā 

Hey there! Thanks for your input.

So, why do you think the mpg stickers say one thing? A company cannot really fib that much, can they?

Sticker EPA mileage has a number on there based upon a couple of laboratory tests. The city doesnt include the stop-start that we all do in the real city, just slow speed driving. The highway is done at a slowish 55-60 without AC or any other power (read gas) sucking devices on. The 2008 EPA tests are going to be more realistic, putting in some variety in the driving, just like we actually do when driving.

Ā 

I dont have numbers yet on gas consumption as i havent taken delivery yet, however i also have quite a light foot - not quite grandpa, but certainly not a teen racer!!

Overall I haven't been super impressed with the MPG. I have about 1350 miles on the vehicle and haven't been over 20 MPG yet. However, last night before I left for a 20 minute drive I reset the MPG gauge which was pretty much freeway and got about 24-26 (can't remember but it was better). On my way home I took surface driving and got close to 19-21 for the round trip. So, obviously it's BETTER than my Explorer and the electric starter running more than 5 minutes is eating up gas as well.

Ā 

I'm hoping the weather warms up so I can avoid the electric starter so I can see how much better the MPG is effected.

Ā 

Bill

Ā 

I don't believe that is correct. The Fusion/Milan/MKZ was the first to use the newer 6spd tranny shared with GM. I think you're thinking of the Five Hundred/Montego. Those have the Aisin. The updated Taurus/Sable/Taurus X will get the 6F along with the 3.5.

92Merc,

Ā 

Sorry but you are wrong. The Fusion/Milan/MKZ use the Aisin-Warner Transmission. Owners manuals tell you to use the "Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid" for this transmission and you should "never use Mercon-V" as it will cause damage. This transmission fluid meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C924-A and is part number XT-8-QAW.

Ā 

The Edge/MKX uses the 6F transmission which calls for Mercon-V Fluid.

Ā 

Check it out for yourself.

Ā 

The updated Taurus/Sable/Taurus-X will use the new 6F transmission in all their FWD and AWD. Presently, the 07's use the A-W in the FWD and the CVT in the AWD.

Ā 

Again, check it out for yourself.

Ā 

Note: Just because the 6F is "new" does not mean that it is "better" <grin>

No more than 700 on the clock so far, however on regular weekly driving, commuting, shop to shop driving in the city and on some 40mph roads i get 16.5-17mph - we have some of the worst timed lights according to several research teams. This weekend we took our first road trip - 90% highway, 10% around town and we got 23mpg overall, although we did hit 25mpg at 70mph. This is all with the AWD version which is supposed to be a little heavier on gas. There may be a difference between where we drive it and the rest of you - its relatively flat here, hills greater than 10:1 are supposed to drop fuel economy by up to 25%, so consider that when you are thinking of your driving and fuel consumption. The other thing is that i use cruise on the highway to maintain somewhat of a constant speed rather than going up and down the speedometer as many seem to! I also dont pretend this car is a sports car, it has great pickup when needed, however why try to peel out from each stop light just to hit the next red light? So my lighter foot can hit or beat the EPA (have done in every car so far), but you just have to drive smoothly, not like a boy racer!

Well, here is my fuel numbers. I am not too thrilled at all. I believe the best mpg I did so far was a little over 17mpg and that was mostly highway. I have gotten a few 12 - 13 mpg tanks and the last one was 15mpg and that was about 50/50 city/highway. When I say city, I am not driving in typical sitand wait traffic. I am doing some stop and go driving but it is more suburbia driving. I also have tried driving like an old lady for a tank (which yielded me 13.44 mpg) and I drove it like I stole it (somewhere in the 12's mpg) I am also hoping that it improves with engine break in. Although, a friend said dont expect much better than I am getting now....maybe 1 mpg better????

Ā 

Fuel Purchase Records

Ā 

02/18/2007

Ā 

221.00 - miles traveled

Ā 

18.000 - gallons of gas

Ā 

40.50 - cost

Ā 

80% City

Ā 

20% highway

Ā 

12.3 mpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

02/23/2007

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

80%

Ā 

20%

Ā 

Ā 

$.40/gallon Discount (1.95/gal)

Ā 

Ā 

02/28/2007

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

30%

Ā 

70%

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

03/03/2007

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

50%

Ā 

50%

Ā 

Ā 

you can see all this at: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=garage

This past Friday I traded my Escape for an Edge. I had heard the same complaints about Escape mileage, but even with the V-6 I got 20.5 city and 28.5 highway, averaged over the entire life of the car. My assumption is that the people getting VERY low mileage on the Escape probably drove fairly agressively.

Ā 

Anyway, I am dazzled by my SEL+, and will be monitoring my mileage as normal. Will post back as I get results.

There appears to be some more people on the other forums who are experiencing poor mpg as I am. Like I stated. I have driven the Edge hard for a tank and followed all speed limits (actually slower most of the time) and I still have not had impressive numbers at all.

Ā 

I have yet to go out and do a whole tank of gas highway trip. and I just turned 1500 miles or so on the odomoter, so the engine does need to break in...

Ā 

IF I could just get 16-17 mpg on a regular basis I would not be upset at all. Thats all I was getting on my Jeep Liberty. And gas prices just started climbing back up since I purchased this Gas HOG, go figure!

Ā 

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt being Mr. Green buying a 6cyl 265 hp 4000lb vehicle. But I would NOT have bought it, if the sticker said avg mpg 13/18 You can bet on that! :censored:

There appears to be some more people on the other forums who are experiencing poor mpg as I am. Like I stated. I have driven the Edge hard for a tank and followed all speed limits (actually slower most of the time) and I still have not had impressive numbers at all.

Ā 

I have yet to go out and do a whole tank of gas highway trip. and I just turned 1500 miles or so on the odomoter, so the engine does need to break in...

Ā 

IF I could just get 16-17 mpg on a regular basis I would not be upset at all. Thats all I was getting on my Jeep Liberty. And gas prices just started climbing back up since I purchased this Gas HOG, go figure!

Ā 

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt being Mr. Green buying a 6cyl 265 hp 4000lb vehicle. But I would NOT have bought it, if the sticker said avg mpg 13/18 You can bet on that! :censored:

Ā 

Yeah, wow...

I am just dumbfounded...I really wish the numbers were a lot better...

I am VERY picky about my vehicles...and I am pretty much scr*wed because I am IN love with the Edge. everything about it...Except these numbers of MPG I am hearing...

But I seriously cannot see myself buying anything else and being satisfied....

Ā 

I just wish the MPG numbers would go UP!

Just dont drive like you stole it and the numbers can quite happily be near the sticker. My wife says i drive pretty slowly, but there is barely a time when i am under the speed limit unless there is heavy traffic. As i said before, i dont know if some of you live in hillier areas than flat pancake Florida - however i hit or exceed the numbers. This week i am doing a blind test, just see where i end up MPG-wise on a normal weekly tank of driving to/from work and shops etc, nothing major on the highways and probably nothing really above 50mph on any of the roads - we'll see how that one turns out. Last week i had the MPG on all the time and was watching it to see how it performed under various conditions. My numbers may or may not have been affected by me watching the guage, but on the highway i just drove as i normally do and got between 23 and 25 depending on whether i was going up or down a slight slope here.

Ā 

Just be a little softer in the acceleration, you arent on the track when you are driving around a city, you can still get to the same top speed and cruise - i guarantee that the numbers will go up an appreciable amount. My wife has a lead foot, i always get a couple extra miles per gallon than her, some people just cant drive with a soft foot..... this last tank did over 400 miles, however the low fuel warning was on near the end of that!

That is a good point. Pittsburgh (during winter) is much different that Florida, lol We have many hills here and from what I was told the gasoline is slightly less due to winter additives?

Ā 

I will continue checking and hopefully as spring arrives so will those Est. MPG numbers that were on the sticker, lol

Ā 

Good Luck!

That is why the EPA numbers are estimates, they are based on a certain set of road conditions - basically flat, constant speed, no other extras like AC or heating on that suck a little extra power out. So once you add in those other factors of hills, stop/start and using those features, your mileage is likely to suck a little more. I dont know if it will get a load better given the spring/summer or even if the engine is broken in enough already, but i guess just wait and see.

Ā 

This CUV will never get what i had in my Sentra, over 30's in city and on the highway, but that was a 4 cyl sedan, pretty basic. Of course i hope that the Ford will be a little more reliable and less costly to replace breaking parts on!!