WINTER / SNOW TIRES

NEW2EDGE

I'm planning to put snow / winter tires on my 2008 AWD Edge Limited and

rather than take a hit or miss approach would appreciate some input from

any other Edge owners who may have some experience. I would really

like to hear from owners in the Northern States and Canada. I spend alot of time

on the road and conditions change rapidly,so my focus is on tires that are

good in snow, slush, ice and don't make so much noise on dry road I'd need

to plug my ears.

The plan is put the tires on 18" rims (steel), make sure the tire preasure monitors

can be installed and put them on all 4 corners of the Edge.

I know my gas milage will probably suffer, ut the alternative of getting stuck or

ending up in the ditch bothers me more.

Do a search under a key word of snow or tires. Lots of various postings.

I put Blizzaks on my 08 FWD and love the tires. I am located in the Toronto Canada area and used them last winter in several snow and ice storms. They made a HUGE difference in the handling. I would not have driven the car without them.

Tires seemed quiet enough (didn't notice any difference from the OEM all seasons) but I put them on at the first snow and took them off fairly early in the spring. I can't comment on the wear resistance but I will definitely look at Blizzaks for my other vehicle based on their performance YTD.

I got my AWD 2008 Edge Limited on the 3rd of March this year. We had a worst snowstorm in decades on the 5th to the 6th. I took her out for a drive and it ran better than my Landrover Discovery with snows!!! These tire are the first set on a new vehicle I have NOT replaced right a way. The Edge had better control & traction than most vehicles out there. The dealer said they had no problems with these so far. Although I am not in the snow belt, Toronto did get a lot of snow with ice. Edge ran sure footed in my experiance.

• 1 month later...

I have and 08 Edge SEL AWD with 17" rims. I purchased Michelin X-Ice with steel rims. I bought 4 OEM TPMS sensors with the bands from the Ford dealership.

Unfortunately I'm having problems with the steel rims. The first tire shop, the rims were OK on the back, but didn't clear the front brake calipers. So, I returned them and got my money back. I went to another tire store and explained my situation and they said that the steel rims they would get me would fit the front. I purchased them and they still don't clear the front brake calipers. I'm kinda pissed about the whole thing now. I'm going back to the tire store on Monday morning first thing looking for answers.

Comments?

I have had winter tires on my last 2 vehicles so I did not think twice when I put them on my 08 MKX AWD. They make a huge difference. Yes original tires may be OK during the first winter but they are not winter tires. Winter tires remain flexible at lower temperatures which is important for good traction (all season tires lose their flexibility below 7oC). Obviously tread pattern is important to traction as well. I put my winter tires on aluminum rims but did not install the sensors (suggestion from the tire shop and saved a few hundred dollars). Without the TPS's you need to hit the reset button each time you start the vehicle but that is really no big deal. Not matter what you do you should check tire pressure monthly anyway. I had no problems with the fit of the rims. The Toyo tires that I purchased are a bit noisier than the stock Pirellis but it is really no big deal.

I have and 08 Edge SEL AWD with 17" rims. I purchased Michelin X-Ice with steel rims. I bought 4 OEM TPMS sensors with the bands from the Ford dealership.

Unfortunately I'm having problems with the steel rims. The first tire shop, the rims were OK on the back, but didn't clear the front brake calipers. So, I returned them and got my money back. I went to another tire store and explained my situation and they said that the steel rims they would get me would fit the front. I purchased them and they still don't clear the front brake calipers. I'm kinda pissed about the whole thing now. I'm going back to the tire store on Monday morning first thing looking for answers.

Comments?

go to tirerack.com or call them, I bought 2 diff sets with no problems, i would skip the sensors & put the money saved into alloy instead of steel, they are lighter, better looking, don't have hubs caps to fall off. Tire rack will also install the sensors free if you buy from them. They know their stuff.

go to tirerack.com or call them, I bought 2 diff sets with no problems, i would skip the sensors & put the money saved into alloy instead of steel, they are lighter, better looking, don't have hubs caps to fall off. Tire rack will also install the sensors free if you buy from them. They know their stuff.

So, this is how it all played out. My second set of winter rims didn't fit my Edge. They cleared the front brake calipers fine, but the center hole that goes in over the hub/axle assembly was too small. So much for being promised that the these rims would guaranteed to fit!

Since winter is well underway here in Northern Canada, I had my X-Ice mounted on my OEM rims and got my money back for the winter rims (again!). I now have an extra set of TPMS sensors with mounting bands. I think what I will do is use the OEM rims as my winter rims and in the spring purchase nice summer rims and put the extra set of TPMS sensors on them.

• 1 month later...

I'd suggest getting a set of used factory 18" wheels to use - I would imagine there's a bunch of smashed units out there... That way you'll be guaranteed that the sensors will fit in the wheels. We have seen some wheels where the sensors and bands won't fit due to the reduced drop well (the lower the better, as the sensor is more protected that way) - as well as we've seen some rims where the module cannot hear the sensors due to materials used to manufacture the wheels. Just my opinion...

Good luck!