HVAC thermostat not working, blows only cold air

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and the thermostat has not been working. It only blows cold air. AC works great, just is stuck on the coldest setting. Outdoor temps are getting colder now and the heat does not work at all.

I tried the "reset" by pushing the power and defrost buttons simultaneously and got the 88/88 code, which apparently means that the system is working properly. I've seen where that has been the trick for many, but it didn't change my situation.

PLEASE any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Need to get fixed and I am on a tight budget!  ;)

Thanks in advance!

Don't have a temp gauge on the dash, but have not had any issues with the car overheating. What I find weird is that the AC works perfectly, but the temp is not adjustable at all...and now with it getting colder, the heat is most definitely not working.

Edited by DawgOnTOUR

Well if your thermostat is stuck in the open position, that can definitely prevent you from getting the engine up to temp, and if the engine never gets up to temp, your coolant will remain cold, which is what the heat draws from. From what little I know about your situation, it sounds like either a bad thermostat or a bad heater core. An open thermostat wouldn't cause it to overheat. If you can replace the thermostat yourself (I have no idea where it is on a 2013 edge), that would be a very cost effective fix, assuming that is in fact the issue.

Replacing a heater core on the other hand is a complete pain in the ass.

• Like 1

On the electronics side, both blend door actuators could be stuck (unlikely) or the HVAC module itself could be having issues.  Have never seen this connected to a weak battery, but check it anyway.

Ford dealers can recalibrate the module when the DIY method fails.  Of course there will be a charge :)

I am assuming you have the automatic dual climate unit in your vehicle.

• Like 1

That reset works only on the dual climate control.  Most times we have not had to deal with problems with manual climate control.  i will look thru the  shop manual and see what's what.

EDIT: the manual isn't helpful at all, lol.  dolsen pretty much summed up everything already.  If coolant level is good (engine off, at ambient, top of the COLD FILL RANGE), heater core inlet/outlet temps are good, we are left with actuator or the module itself.  check the actuator to make sure it is moving freely.  hopefully that is where the problem lies.

I don't think it is the thermostat because you would at least get SOME heat out of the vents, but it might be lukewarm instead of hot.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 8:53 AM, DawgOnTOUR said:

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and the thermostat has not been working. It only blows cold air. AC works great, just is stuck on the coldest setting. Outdoor temps are getting colder now and the heat does not work at all.

I tried the "reset" by pushing the power and defrost buttons simultaneously and got the 88/88 code, which apparently means that the system is working properly. I've seen where that has been the trick for many, but it didn't change my situation.

PLEASE any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Need to get fixed and I am on a tight budget!  ;)

Thanks in advance!

i have had the exact same problem on my 13.  I took it to my mechanic.  He found 2 actuator codes (BIIE-5 AND BIIE-6) He cleared the codes and told me to go to Ford to reprogram the climate control module.   My mechanic charged me $50.