Hello from Southeastern VA

Roadhawk

Hello to one and all, I've been in shopping mode for the last few weeks. I have a convertible that is my garage toy and I plan to have it paid off this coming year. After that is taken care of I'll be looking for a new daily driver for myself. My past experience with Ford has been a bit checkered but each has been impressive in their own way. I had a 2012 Focus that was a hoot to drive but not so comfortable on a long trip. I also had problems with the DCT but I give Ford credit, they fixed it under warranty without question. However, I traded it before anymore issue came about. Then I got a beautiful Deep Impact Blue Taurus SEL and I must say, that was an incredible car. The 3.5 V6 was a serious runner and still got great mpg but for all its attributes, the bulge in the driver's floor area from the wheelwell intrusion was its biggest downfall. I'm a big guy(6'3"-300) and my wife has relatives scattered all over the east coast, so road trips are a thing. On a long drive that welt proved to be mighty uncomfortable. I even tried cutting away the plastic dead pedal for more room but it just wasn't enough. On the upside, my current daily driver is a 2013 Escape Titanium AWD EcoBoost 2.0T, and after three years it has been a truly excellent workhorse. I wish it got a little better mpg but its not horrible, I wish the gas tank was larger (11gal...really?) which forces more fill-up stops on road trips but we simply refer to it as the "itty-bitty tank." When the ragtop is paid for, I plan to pass the Escape over to my wife (she likes it too). I originally wanted a wagon but that is rare beast these days. I drove a 2013 Edge but it suffered from the same wheel bulge in the floor as the Taurus. But yesterday I drove a 2017 Edge SEL and I was impressed. It had the same 3.5 as the Taurus (love that) and felt like a slightly bigger version of the Escape as it has many familiar things inside. I figured I should get to learning more about this vehicle as I highly value a great support system when it comes to ownership. I can envision a real love affair with one of these although I'm sure I'll want a 2016-18 as I'm not crazy about the 2019 restyle. I've already been reading some threads and the Lincoln MKX instrument swap looks like a great idea (I do love me some mods to make a car my own)

Looking forward to reading, learning and interacting that will hopefully lead to ownership in the coming year. Thanks in advance everyone!

Welcome. 

I had a 2008 Taurus, though here it was still marketed as the Fivehundred, and like you I am big, I also suffered from the left foot room. But then I got a 2011 MKX (similar to the 2011-2014 Edge) and the left foot room was great. It did have a dead pedal, but it was straight and had empty space above so I was able to stretch my left leg comfortably. Now with 2016 Edge, there is no more empty space above the dead pedal, so I consider it a downgrade in left foot space.

Hope you find the one that suits you best, like what @WWWPerfA_ZN0W & @onyxbfly stated above, consider the Sport. It is the Driver's Edge. If it's not cup of tea, don't dismiss the 2.0 Edge as some members felt it peppy enough to not want the 3.5.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

I currently have the 2.0T in my 2013 Escape and while it is an over-achiever for its size, the mpg isnt stellar for a 4cyl. I've also read in other places that if you have heavy foot (and I kinda do) then the EcoBoost will not be kind at the pump. That aside, there are two other downsides. One is the perpetually sooty exhaust outlet. I know it sounds petty but the filthy black tips on the Escape do annoy me a tad. I've been told its the nature of the beast with any DI engine. Fair enough. Number Two, and this also is a quirk, but I do love the sound the intake generates on a N/A engine. The turbo whoosh on my Escape sounds like the most badazz Dyson to ever hit the carpet but it doesnt tickle my fancy for driving. Granted, I do like the idea of the better suspension the Edge Sport rides on but I figure between wider wheel/tire combo, poly bushings and lowering springs, I should be able to mod a Titanium to be almost as good. The 3.5 is a good engine and I'll be happy to be sitting behind another one as good as the Taurus.