Airbag Light on After Passenger Seat Upgrade

I have a 2011 Ford Escape Limited with a 10-way leather drivers seat, and decided to upgrade the front passenger leather seat to match it:  from a 6-way seat to the 10-way passenger seat that was finally available starting in 2012.  I found a matching 2012 seat in great condition for only $75 at a recycler located 180 miles roundtrip away in Rhode Island  and picked it up Thursday.  I'd been reviewing wiring diagrams for the last several days in preparation.

So made the swap today, and was surprised to find the connectors for both the old and donor seat were pinned with wires in the same locations.  Great!  There were no additional or missing wires when comparing them.  I was expecting to have to do some wiring.  So I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and I rolled the dice and plugged in the replacement 10-way.

Reconnected the battery....... Every function on the new seat worked perfectly:  back/forward, up/down, seatback reclines, seat tilt down and up, heated seat!  Great! 

But now the airbag light was on.... comes on at initial start, goes out for a few seconds, then stays on solid

:gaah:

Oh, Merry Christmas to all!!!!!! 

Now, to get that light off.  I looked at the images that the recycler had for the wreck and saw that the drivers airbag had deployed (not the passenger).  But assuming that the pretensioner had fired for both seats on the wreck, I pulled the donor seat back out (grrr), and swapped in the known good tensioner from my original seat.  It was also pin for pin compatible.  Reinstalled and connected everything.  No change

And that's where I am.  seat looks great, works great, and the Airbag light is still on, plus there are no OBD codes at all.

Any suggestions?  How do I reset this light?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Edited by pedro2u

You may have better luck on an Escape forum with this issue. However, my first guess would be that there's an issue with the OCS in the donor seat, either a fault, incompatibility, or just the need to re-calibrate it. Worse case the 2012 airbag may not work in your 2011.  Are you scanning with a scanner & program/app that reads all modules on all CAN networks (like FORScan)?

Thanks for the replies.  Enigma-2, In my searches for the answer,  I had previously read the link you shared, but appreciate your followup.  And DaMiFo, I can say that the occupancy sensor in the seat is at least sensing occupancy, since when I sit in the donor passenger seat, the console indicator switches from Passenger Airbag OFF to ON. And for codes, I have an Actron CP9690, which appears to be able to read some modules, but when I plug it into my Edge, those options aren't present.  In fact there's an Airbag test on the tool, but it's not available when I plug it in.  

I did watch a few more airbag fix YouTube videos, most of no value....  that video said the most common cause was the the yellow connector under the passenger seat should be reseated, which I just did with no success.

My Edge is scheduled to be at the dealer for the Brake Booster extended warranty fix on Tuesday, so I may ask if they can attempt to reset it (although I fear a massive diag charge, but I'll ask about cost first)

I'll post the results

Edited by pedro2u