MFT SYNC 2 system has been black screened for ever and had it briefly come on then died again. What to do?

My SYNC 2 on my 2012 Ford Edge began dying about May 2016 and completed dying in about September 2016. I had come to live with the fact that the car was out of warrantee and Ford was not going to give me any help wanting $2000+ to reolace it in kind (another SYNC 2, really?).  Then I have the car battery die on me I have someone come jump my car, and it suddenly works again for about 5 minutes then back to the black screen of death.  What really is the problem with this thing? Must be a place where a wire or circuit board is fried. When the extra voltage or amps for charging the battery caused it to work.  Can I fix it? What is this APIM I see in the forums?  This SYNC 2 with MFT is an albatross around my neck and Fords and mostly mine. I can't sell the car with it dead.  Of course I checked the fuse it looks pristine and have disconnected battery cables to no avail.  It is cold and the seat warmers are useless with out the really dead infotainment system. Any help available greatly appreciated.

The APIM is the SYNC module (Accessory Protocol Interface Module).

Unfortunately, the MyFord Touch generation of APIMs are prone to fail. When they're almost done for, a reboot will sometimes temporarily allow them to work. That's why there was the 12M02 warranty extension of 5 years after the vehicle was first bought (so in 2016, you were either JUST outside the warranty date or the dealer tried to screw you). The only way around it, if it's completely dead, is to replace the APIM.

Fortunately, the modules are fairly cheap on the used market. You (or an independent shop, if they're willing) can replace the module easily as it's right behind the center screen, then can flash your car's AsBuilt data onto the unit using FORScan and you'll be good to go.

Edited by DaMiFo

DaMiFo,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.   I can get it apart, so I can buy a replacement, and the only thing I am not sure I understand is the flashing of the cars AsBuilt data on to the unit with FORScan.  I will look that up and see where it will take me. 

Shame I can't trust my local Ford Dealers.  Thanks again for the help.  Best regards!

54 minutes ago, krztfr said:

DaMiFo,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.   I can get it apart, so I can buy a replacement, and the only thing I am not sure I understand is the flashing of the cars AsBuilt data on to the unit with FORScan.  I will look that up and see where it will take me. 

Shame I can't trust my local Ford Dealers.  Thanks again for the help.  Best regards!

I can provide you with an up to date unit that is the proper one programmed for your car through the official dealer process.  Send me a message if you are interested.

• Like 3

2011 Ford Edge, my menu switches to settings then sound on its own. I have researched how to access the "hidden" diagnostic screem however cannot get it to come up. I did a hard reset as well. My back up camera quit working aprox a year after I bought it. Unfortinately could not afford the warranty.  I read about the 2013 update. How can I tell if my APM just needs an update or replaced?

30 minutes ago, PageDeb13 said:

2011 Ford Edge, my menu switches to settings then sound on its own. I have researched how to access the "hidden" diagnostic screem however cannot get it to come up. I did a hard reset as well. My back up camera quit working aprox a year after I bought it. Unfortinately could not afford the warranty.  I read about the 2013 update. How can I tell if my APM just needs an update or replaced?

You have 1 of 3 solutions:

1) You can buy a replacement APIM

2) You can do a SYNC 3 upgrade

3) You can do an aftermarket head unit replacement.

Personally I would not be interested in option 1.

Options 2 and 3 are around the same price. It just depends on which direction you want to go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PageDeb13 said:

The camera is a camera issue, not an APIM issue.  As for the display switching to different screens on its own...sounds like it is getting a touchscreen input which would mean there is pressure on the display or the display is bad.  Do you hear it beep when it does this?  What happens when you try to touch the screen to do something?  Probably not an APIM issue.