Hood latch adjustment - possible?

Edgingage

Hello folks:

I need your advise on this issue: hood not closing shut unless letting it go from higher up.

First I should mention it's not a new issue, it was happening since I bought my car (used).  But I now noticed it's been slowly and increasingly bugging me, and I would like to fix it, IF possible.  Here's the thing:

I cannot close the hood shut by letting it lay down and then push it down, it will not close, no matter how much force to put on top, it won't close (period).  So, the only way to close it shut is lifting it up (I'd say to about 2 feet) and then suddenly let it go so that the speed by the gravity weight will make enough force to shut it down.

I have adjusted the rubber bumpers; that doesn't make any difference.  Please see attached picture as a reference for what I want to ask if it's possible to do:

I think I'll have to adjust the actual latching mechanism, but if so I'll really need your help or advise.  Taking a look at it, I see three springs there.  I assume that I least one of them (if not all) is under high tension.  I also see a couple of bolts back there and those are what I hope are adjustable, but I'm not sure as I can't see from behind (it's closed) and I'm not sure if there are vertical openings behind those bolts (or just circular openings).

IF there are vertical openings behind the latch I think I should be able to raise the latch.  Right now, the (first) safety latch engages properly, no issues there, but the second latch below doesn't engage unless with significant gravity force.  If I'm able to raise the latch mechanism high enough I hope that the second latch will then engage with the simple gentle push of the hood down.  Am I correct?

Please let me know if I could safely loose the latch mechanism to raise it up.  Any advise on the side is greatly appreciated in advance as I don't want to mess around with something I don't really know how it works.

Thank you all.

Hood latch.png

Edited by Edgingage
replacing picture to show bolts

Have you tried to lubricate the latch? Try spraying with some silicone and see if that make's any difference. (Helps mine, although I've never had anything like what your experiencing).

Don't think you can raise the latch, can't on mine. Only adjustment are the adjustible bumpers at each side.

Hi Enigma:

Latch is fully lubricated, I do it twice a year. If I adjust the bumpers any lower then the hood gets misaligned with the edges, it goes too low...

I guess this could be considered a genuine factory defect then, I'd say...

It's too bad, too late.

Thanks Enigma.

Edit: I just screwed the side rubber bumpers all the way in as far as they can go and still I can't close the hood by pushing it down.  There're two rubber bumpers at front but they're not adjustable.

Do you (or anyone else) know what bad thing can happen if I loosen those two bolts holding the latch?  Please let me know your guess.

Thanks again.

Edited by Edgingage

After watching the video, I reread the service manual and it does appear to be able to adjust the latch up and down.

There's no description in the manual, but there is a statement that reads "mark the position when removing" ... . Definitely should fix the problem if your able to raise the latch slightly. 

Problem fixed quick and easy (after watching the video ;)).  Latch was originally set at its lowest point, there's about 1" vertical range, I found a sweet spot in between and then fine adjusted it with the rubber bumpers.

Nice to be able to gently push the hood down now (no more slamming!) and still remains nicely tighty.

Thank you all.

Edited by Edgingage
  • Like 1