Interior Chimes and Warning Sounds

Hi. I’m new and hope I’ve found the right forum for my question. 

I have a 2016 Edge Titanium. Love it to pieces, never really had any issues. 

Since lockdowns, I’m not driving as frequently but noticed the last few times I’ve driven, my interior chimes sound different. They used to have kind of a softer stereo sound, but now it sounds  abrasive and very treble like and like it’s coming only from the left speaker by the windshield on the drivers side. Once this resolved itself when I got back in the car, but this time around it hasn’t. 

does anyone know what this is or how I can fix it? I realize it’s such a petty thing but for some reason it irritates me. ?

My initial thought is your vehicle battery is weak (especially since you are not driving very often). I'd have it load tested (or test its CCA reserve).

Normally,  most shops tests only voltage which is NOT a good indicator of a battery's internal health. 

Being retired, I also don't drive as much as I used to. This is the battery tester I use to test both our car's batteries. It tests both the CCA capacity rating, as well as  the cars entire charging system. (Also good for testing the tractor and generator battery's too).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZFNJ6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_5927DG7C5V633JGECH40?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

The chimes go through the stereo system typically if everything is good and healthy and the can bus network is all timed and in sync.  If anything is amiss it defaults to the instrument cluster speaker.  That is what is happening.  Probably because of the weaker battery voltage from sitting.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

The chimes go through the stereo system typically if everything is good and healthy and the can bus network is all timed and in sync.  If anything is amiss it defaults to the instrument cluster speaker.  That is what is happening.  Probably because of the weaker battery voltage from sitting.

You gave a much better description of my problem, thanks. ?

I have ordered the battery thing and will proceed as necessary. Appreciate the help!

If you are not driving much, it is completely normal for this generation Edge and Fusion.  Either (as posted above) the battery could be going bad due to age, OR after a while the car will enter a "deep sleep" where all modules stop checking-in with eachother to save power. The next time the car is driven for a little while things will adjust and you'll get the full chime again (as you experienced once).  If it hasn't gone away right away, your battery may need to charge if the car has been sitting for a while, or (again as posted above) your battery may be on it's way out. Try going for a longer drive to charge up the battery a little more.

If you haven't yet experienced it, your backup warning beeps will also come from the instrument cluster rather than the rear speakers too.

Edited by DaMiFo

• 4 months later...