2011 Ford Edge SEL shaking on acceleration

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SEL front wheel drive 4 door with 150k miles. I had an issue where the front end was making a "popping" sound when turning right or left. The dealership and another shop both wasn't fully sure what was causing the issue. Because they weren't sure of the issue, it was going to be a crap shoot of just changing parts until the issue was fixed. Thinking i was getting ahead on the issue due to factory parts being so expensive, i purchased a kit from Detroit Axle that came with 2 lower control arms w/ball joints, 2 sway bar end links, all 4 inner and outter tie rod end links w/rack boots plus both front complete CV axle shafts. The dealership installed everything and it cost me $800 in labor including the alignment. The popping was gone, but something didn't feel right. The steering in general just never felt the same. i wrote it off as being the possibility of new parts it could just overall feel different. After a month, the vehicle started shaking on acceleration. It wasn't real bad, but noticeable enough it made me concerned. I called up the dealer and scheduled a date for them to check it out. Was 3 days away, so i continued to drive it to work. In that amount of time it went from a small shake on acceleration to quite a bit worse of a shake, but almost seems intermittent at times. You feel it every time you accelerate but the amount it shakes doesn't seem to always be the same. It's at its worse when going around a 90 degree curve and acceling mid way through, then it becomes almost a violent shake. Bad enough a can of soda sitting in the cup holder splashes out. 

So i took it back to the shop, they looked it over and basically said what they said the last time, it was a crap shoot. They are blaming the new passenger side cv axle from Detroit Axle. So i agreed to have them change them. After replacing it for $500, the shake is still there. They are now wanting to replace the other side (another $500). Before forking out anymore money, has anyone else experienced this kind of issue? I understand parts can be bad brand new, but whats the chance both cv axles are bad? Is there anything else they should be looking at that would cause that kind of shake on acceleration? At low speeds you can't hardly feel it unless you are looking for it, it really needs a decent load on it in order to feel the shake. 

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before i keep dumping money into this thing. Already at $1500 and looking at another $500 now. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by kizite

did they use a motorcraft axle on the pass side the second time around?

how often have you serviced the power steering fluid? have you noticed any lack of steering assist?

When last did you service the plugs/pcv valve/MAF sensor/throttle body? not that i necessarily think this is the prime culprit, but good to know.  same for transmission fluid history.

i would look up an independent service center using a resource such as paypal.com and have them get you a second opinion.  Or find a Lincoln dealership and have them take a look.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

did they use a motorcraft axle on the pass side the second time around?

how often have you serviced the power steering fluid? have you noticed any lack of steering assist?

When last did you service the plugs/pcv valve/MAF sensor/throttle body? not that i necessarily think this is the prime culprit, but good to know.  same for transmission fluid history.

i would look up an independent service center using a resource such as paypal.com and have them get you a second opinion.  Or find a Lincoln dealership and have them take a look.

Yes, they used a Motorcraft axle on the passenger side and it didn't change anything.

Powesteering fluid was replaced a few months ago. The "ghost filter" actually cracked and was replaced. Powersteering seems to be the same as it was before they changed anything besides no pop and shaking when accelerating at higher rpms/coming out of curves. One thing I did notice, I dont seem to have as much "resistance" when going straight down the road and turning the steering wheel back and forth. Before it kinda felt like there was a slight lip or something you'd have to over come when you'd turn the wheel an 1/16th of the way left or right. Now its more free turning.

Plugs, pcv, maf sensor, and coils have been changed within the last year. 

Trans fluid was done about 30k miles ago

Edited by kizite

On 3/16/2021 at 6:09 AM, enigma-2 said:

Popping when turning usually indicates s frozen upper strut bearing (which I don't believe you replaced). Have you examined the struts and strut bearings?

Struts were replaced around 100k miles. They didn't replace them this go around. Whatever was causing the popping noise is now gone, just turned into a bad shake on higher rpm acceleration, way more prominent when accelerating out of a bigger curve, but occasionally can feel it on acceleration after turning at a stop sign. You can let off the peddle mid curve and the shake goes away, accelerate again and around 2.5k-3k rpms it comes right back.