Edge Sport towing

drm1harley

I have a 2015 Sport that I'm going to be towing a boat with that weighs in at 2400 pounds including the trailer and fuel. I've read most of the posts about towing with this model and I know the maximum recommended weight is 2000 pounds.  I have talked with many dealers and not one can give me a good answer on why the capacity is so low. Certainly not the HP or torque as they all agreed on. Some believed it was the lack of anti-sway, some thought the transmission was not designed for heavier loads, some said a tranny cooler would increase the load capacity others did not have a good answer. 

My question is if anyone has trailered something around this weight and what your experience was/is.  My trips to the launch are under 10 miles each way with maybe a longer 100-mile trip a couple of times a year. 

Appreciate the feedback. Love the vehicle, hate to get rid of it because of this.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 titanium 4 cylinder 2.0L. I don’t have a tow package but added a hitch. The car is supposed to be able to pull 1500 lbs max. I pulled a 12 ft enclosed trailer from Illinois to Arizona. 1700 miles. The trailer weighed 1200 lbs and was jam packed with household stuff. I’m sure I was over 2000 lbs. Changed the trans fluid before I left. Was going to add a trans cooler but was told my car already had a big one on. Drove in sport mode the whole way using the paddle shifters and kept the rpms around 2000. It drove like a dream. Even through the mountains. Couldn’t even tell the trailer was there. Wanted to check the trans fluid after to see if it looked bad but no way to do that without paying another $200 for a flush. So I didn’t do it. It’s a year later now and it still runs perfect. 

I have a 2015 titanium 4 cylinder 2.0L. I don’t have a tow package but added a hitch. The car is supposed to be able to pull 1500 lbs max. I pulled a 12 ft enclosed trailer from Illinois to Arizona. 1700 miles. The trailer weighed 1200 lbs and was jam packed with household stuff. I’m sure I was over 2000 lbs. Changed the trans fluid before I left. Was going to add a trans cooler but was told my car already had a big one on. Drove in sport mode the whole way using the paddle shifters and kept the rpms around 2000. It drove like a dream. Even through the mountains. Couldn’t even tell the trailer was there. Wanted to check the trans fluid after to see if it looked bad but no way to do that without paying another $200 for a flush. So I didn’t do it. It’s a year later now and it still runs perfect. 

That’s me. I towed a 1998 eclipse gsx 5-speed manual, with two spare engines and a few other parts in the back. Well over 3,000lbs(honestly probably closer to 3500-4000 with the dolly included in) and it took it like a champ. I took about a 200 mile ish trip one way towing it up and down hills and mountains of NC, no issues. No burning or fading brakes, no overheating transmission, no out of control swaying or etc, total breeze. You could definitely feel it was back there, but only on acceleration and bumps kinda jostled me around but nothing unsafe. Trans temps never got above 210* and if it even got close I pulled over and blasted the heat for awhile(our transcooler is cooled by the coolant that goes to the heater core from the factory. At least my 2015 sport is this way) in neutral with the idle raised to about 2000rpm for a few moment’s and that was more than enough to cool it right back down to normal operating temps within minutes. This was on extreme inclines in very hot weather too. 

These things can tow quite a lot. I’m convinced the only reason Ford rates them so low is because they want to sell more trucks. In the eyes of the consumer why buy a truck to tow with if I can just buy a cheaper SUV that gets better gas mileage?  But if it’s rated for only 2000 Lbs then that’s scary and I want a truck that’s rated for 5500 instead!

Edited by CrackedDSM