Remove rearview mirror shroud on 2020 Edge with adaptive cruise

Hey everyone.

So I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the plastic shroud around the rearview mirror (the one on the windshield). I just came from a Challenger and had my dashcam wired up to the mirror and I'd like to do the same thing with the edge. 

Has anyone done this? I can't find any videos or documents online that show how to remove it or what it looks like inside (is there even a removable harness that I could tap into?)

This is what I mean by shroud: https://youtu.be/Dwu_7Euc3d4

On 3/30/2021 at 12:08 AM, handfiler said:

Thanks for the video enigma-2 ? Different shape on the Nautilus but same access and wiring color code as the F-150.

Literally a 5 second job to remove the cover.

Actually, would you mind taking a picture of the connector when you take it off? I'm wondering if it's the same as the f150 16-pin plug

cornerview_lightened.png

17 hours ago, Vanquished said:

Grr. I tried again. It just feels like it's gonna break ?

What tools did you use? I order more trim tools since the ones I have are too big I guess (I misplaced my small blades) 

20210330_222659.jpg

SmartSelect_20210329-123036_Chrome.jpg

I pried it off with my finger tips. Newer vehicles no longer use the flimsy easily breakable stems on trim.

7 hours ago, Vanquished said:

Actually, would you mind taking a picture of the connector when you take it off? I'm wondering if it's the same as the f150 16-pin plug

cornerview_lightened.png

I'll take a look on the weekend and confirm. That Dongar piece is some nasty looking. I think I'll just make my own fused step down harness and tap into a 12 volt source. If I come across an alternative to that Dongar adapter, I'll report back.

Edited by handfiler

34 minutes ago, handfiler said:

I pried it off with my finger tips. Newer vehicles no longer use the flimsy easily breakable stems on trim.

I'll take a look on the weekend and confirm. That Dongar piece is some nasty looking. I think I'll just make my own fused step down harness and tap into a 12 volt source. If I come across an alternative to that Dongar adapter, I'll report back.

Thanks!

FWIW I used the dongar adapter on my Challenger and it was great. It hides in the shroud. 

8 hours ago, Vanquished said:

Thanks!

FWIW I used the dongar adapter on my Challenger and it was great. It hides in the shroud. 

Curiosity (and thirst) got the better of me so I came into the garage to confirm if the Dongar adapter is compatible. Bad news, the current mirror plug / receptacle connection is a 5 pin configuration.

20210331_231046.jpg

Edited by handfiler

5 hours ago, handfiler said:

Curiosity (and thirst) got the better of me so I came into the garage to confirm if the Dongar adapter is compatible. Bad news, the current mirror plug / receptacle connection is a 5 pin configuration.

20210331_231046.jpg

lol thanks for checking. The wire taps seem easy enough but I liked the idea of having a capacitor. Was kind of hoping the power connector was this one, since it looks like 16 pin haha

SmartSelect_20210401-055037_Chrome.jpg

Well I guess dongar makes taps with the capacitor as well haha https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07R7JGCL1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_FXXPSM0WMZ10H3VA7GMJ

Edited by Vanquished

Got it off. I know why it was so hard. The plate goes all the way to the edge unlike on my dodge. So if you use a tool you need to only put it a tiny bit in other wise you'll be prying the whole thing off the windshield (btw, this is going to be a nightmare expense to replace the windshield if it cracks). I ordered that Dongar adapter since it's 1 day shipping. So where am I going with this now? What two cables do I tap into? It's not exactly the same as the f150 though my edge and your Nautilus do seem to have the same connectors. 

20210401_092932.jpg

20210401_092822.jpg

20210401_092832.jpg

Edited by Vanquished

I believe the wire on the left is the one that goes to the mirror.

It's possible the 16 pin and the 5 pin would work. I found these diagrams (for a 2020 explorer) on another site, unfortunately my multimeter pins are too big to get into the spots to tests so I guess I'll have to best guess it. 

I ordered the dongar mini usb cable and a 1 foot extension cable since the dongar looks pretty short.my goal will be to run the cable up to the headliner and then to the dash came in a U shape, as I had it with the Challenger.

Power mirror2.jpeg

Power mirror4.jpeg

3 hours ago, handfiler said:

Thanks for providing the schematic. I ended up ordering this: Cable Adapter Kit Mini USB 3.5 Meters DC 12V to 5V Power Inverter Converter Regulator

I looked at that but I didn't want all that cable if the on I got doesn't work for some reason I'll try that. 

The right way to do this is to use a multimerer but my prongs are too big.