Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

Comparison of stock and  V3 . 

IMG_0009.JPG

The V3 can move much more air with less restriction than OEM, and offers both dry disposable and wet/oiled washable filters. 

Replacement filters are available online and just a click away.. 

IMG_0013.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The plastic shop is going to CNC the clips and latches. This should speed up assembly and the parts should look much better than the hand made prototypes. 

They are also going to mold 4 V3 to get started. I am using this run to determine the price. I am trying to be price competitive with major manufactures and offer a better product at a better price. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from the plastic shop with some of the parts. The molding went great on these first 4 units. 

IMG_0078.JPG

The J-Hooks are done. They are made in a long strip then cut to size.  You can see how much better the parts look having them CNC.

IMG_0076.JPG

The C-Clips needed some adjustment as they were too precise and the fit is wee-bit too tight. I should be able to pick up the improved ones tomorrow afternoon. 

These are the first four V3 that will be  available to members. 

Edited by Xtra

As promised the plastic shop came through with the C-Clips. I now have all the parts necessary in stock to complete 4 Adaptors.

The long strips are the J-Hooks and the Tabs. They are made in a strip then chopped to size.

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.8073a222ca72685bfaa528332083502a.JPG

Here are the CNC machined C-Clips. They look much better than the prototypes. 

IMG_0101.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I was not able to show exactly how it is installed because I had to hold the camera . It is an easy enough install, but using both hands is necessary. 

At least you get a view of the V3 and Adaptor installed in my Sport.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

I started to cut out the parts and this is the first of three cuts. It is the first time I have used the  jigs other than when I built and tested them on the prototype. I hope the other two jigs work as good as this first one... 

• Like 1

After seeing the V3 installed in my car, I decided to change the angle that the the lid sits at just a little. 

From the side the Adaptor now has a little more of a wedge shape. I lowered it 1/2 inch in the back.

This is not finished, it needs to be fine tuned some more.  I was just seeing how everything goes together. 

IMG_0157.JPG

This lowers the back of the filter lid. 

IMG_0158.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Today I was able to swap out the V3 lid while the Adaptor stayed in the car. I put back in my lid with the Aux Air hose intake. It was easy, I just unclipped the lid and loosened the hose clamps on the filter. I left the Elbow Adaptors installed in the accordion hose then swiped out lids. It was much easier than anticipated.

:waiting: Dang,  it got up to 100*F today, will have to start my summer schedule soon if this heat continues. That's working in the mornings and evenings to beat the heat :). It will become the norm by summer, do it every year. . 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Started assembling the first production V3 today. 

First I had to cut those strips into parts. These are the J-Hooks and the large and small Tabs

IMG_0162.JPG

The new parts are much better than the prototype's. They give a cleaner look to the V3.

IMG_0163.JPG

Close up of the installed J-Hook, gasket and edge protector.

IMG_0164.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

:) I also finish the first production V3 and test fit it into my car as well. 

Here the production V3 is on the right. It has a slight angle to the top and the finish work is much better

IMG_0171.JPG

In this photo the Production V3 is on the left and the difference in the quality is amazing. 

IMG_0172.JPG

I was able to swap out the prototype V3 Adaptor for the production one, took less than 5 min. This is the production V3 installed. Notice how it sits a little lower and tilts back to the Aux Air Hose. To swap the Adaptors all ll it took was an 8mm nut driver. I loosened the clamps on the filter side of the Elbow Reducers, and left the Aux Air hose attached. When installing the production V3 Adaptor, the bottom two clips at the back snapped on all by themselves! (The J-Hooks ) . And the clip on top between the snorkel and lid also self clipped itself into place automatically !!!. It was amazing to see the Adaptor just drop in and latch itself. Much better than expected and a complete surprise. I am not sure what way is easier to do . Pre- build on a bench or just install it in the car. I think from now on I will just install directly into the car. Hard to say what way is the best. 

IMG_0180.JPG

Oh!  and the V3 is ready and if anyone is interested there are two V3 CAI units available now  B) .  Fits Ford  Edge ST and Sports.  All years with the 2.7L EcoBoost . PM me for more info, pricing and availability. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

Today I finished modifying the #2 cut jig to include the new angle.  

I added the wood strips in the jig to change the angel. The part aligns on those strips.

IMG_0196.JPG

Then the part is screwed down into the jig to hold it in place. The screws are long and do double duty by  screwing into the bench to hold the jig while the part is cut. 

One side is cut at a time, Once the cut is complete the screws are pulled out, the jig rotated1/4 turn and screwed down before the next side is cut. This process continues until all sides have beed trimmed to height.. 

IMG_0200.JPG

Screwing down the part to the jig and the jig to the table was a huge breakthrough for me . The parts are now consistent is size and quality.

Up to now every V3 I made was a little different, now they will all be the same. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I now wrap the part with painters tape for protection during cutting. The jigs are painted white, so there is a high contrast with the black parts. Make for easier viewing and alignment. I found that on some hot spots in the jig, the white paint would leave a mark on the part.. I can't have that, so they are all taped up now.  

This is the part before trimming on jig 2 

IMG_0194.JPG

This is after trimming on Jig 2.  

IMG_0206.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

After investing several thousand dollars,  and over a year in design and prototypes, the V3 is ready.

These are the first two V3 CAI Adaptors, finished and ready for a new home.  :happyfeet:   

IMG_0219.JPG

The V3 is a drop in CAI system for the Edge ST and Sport with the 2.7L EcoBoost it includes:

The V3 Adaptor plate 

Modified lid with sensor port.

Sensor

Clamps

Filter  -  Pick one --- Oil, washable reusable filter  --- Highest air flow with the least restriction. 

Dry disposable filter  --  Best in dusty conditions and filtering fine dust . Still flows way better than stock OEM

Two Polished Aluminum Elbow reducers  30* and 45* degree bend

Everything needed for the V3 CAI system, complete and ready to install. 

*The AUX Air intake is still available as as option

**Replacement air filters and cleaning kits are  available online.  

The V3 CAI installed in an Edge Sport with the AUX Air Intake.   The V3 is an exclusive, limited run, custom made CAI for Ford Edge Forum Members only.

PM me if you're interested :)

IMG_0180.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Now that the Adaptor is sorted out, work begins on the other parts of the V3. The 30 and 45 degree aluminum elbows arrived today.  Still waiting on some 2 1/2 inch thin wall 6061 tube for the Aux Air, and some thicker wall 3 inch 6061 for the Elbow reducers to arrive. There is only one V3 remaining from the first run.  PM if you are interested.   

IMG_0300.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The 3 inch tube for the Elbow Reducers came today looking like this. 

IMG_0310.JPG

A little while later it looked like this.   They are cut to size but still need to be de-burred and prepared for welding.

IMG_0312.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Fabricated one set of Elbow Reducers, and a couple Sensor Ports today.  The next step is to weld and polish them.  I have to take it easy, It got up to 103*F and I think I drank at least 10 gallons of water LOL

IMG_0332.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Got up early today to avoid the heat. I worked on a lid for the Aux Air today and installed the Sensor port. I am still waiting the Aluminum tube for the Flex hose, but at least the lid is ready when it arrives. 

This is the jig for drilling the Aux Air hole. The lid bolts to it. 

IMG_0335.JPG

Once the lid is bolted to the jig, it is mounted into the drill press. The jig holds the lid at the correct angel for the cut.  

IMG_0337.JPG

A special bit is used to achieve a clean cut. I only get one chance so it is measure three times, double check twice, cross my fingers and drill. the hole.  

IMG_0339.JPG

A nice clean hole drilled into an uneven surface ready for the aluminum tube that the Flax hose attaches to, 

IMG_0341.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Once the Aux Air hole was drilled, it was time to install the sensor port.  

After fabrication,  welding,  and polishing the port is ready to install

IMG_0343.JPG

first The center hole is drilled. 

IMG_0345.JPG

Then the holes for the rivets are drilled

IMG_0348.JPG

And finally the Sensor Port is riveted into place

IMG_0349.JPG

Sensor Port mounted and Aux Air hole ready. . Now to do the same to another lid. 

IMG_0350.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2