Control Panel Beeping, help..

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2014 Ford Edge Sport. I have always loved the look of it and had a 2008 ford edge previously. Very happy with my new Edge. About a week after i bought it i notice that from time to time the Control panel would start "beeping". By beeping i mean it makes the sound it would make if you were pressing say the temperature up or down. Or the fan higher or lower. I hope i am describing it properly. It sounds like one of the buttons is stuck and it just keeps going for so minute or so. I clearly do not know much about cars, so i asked a friend and he said i might need to replace the whole centre control panel. I did not like hearing that as i imagine that would cost a few dollars. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? How you fixed it.

Thank you for your time!

I've not experienced this problem, and since your car knowledge is limited, l'll keep this simple -- and visual.

From the 2014 Edge Owners Manual, page 474, the beep sounds generated by the MyFord Touch screen and/or the Touch Panel controls can be turned ON or turned OFF, indicated here surrounded by a red rectangle...

51250842189_b536c89dce_o.jpg

To review and/or revise these two Button Beep settings, on your Edge's MyFord Touch home screen, select the Settings gears icon at the bottom of the screen, indicated here surrounded by an orange circle...

51249357587_6acc2cf956_o.jpg

On the resulting Settings Menu screen, select the gear icon for System, indicated here surrounded by an orange oval...

51249357577_fd4bdced5f_o.jpg

At the bottom of the resulting System Settings screen is the Touch Screen Button Beep options of ON or OFF, indicated here surrounded by an orange rectangle...

51251130205_2c51f26374_o.jpg

On this same System Settings screen, if you scroll down the menu using the scroll bar on the right side of the screen, indicated here by the red-outlined orange arrow, the Touch Panel Button Beep options of ON or OFF will appear, indicated here surrounded by an orange rectangle...

51251130200_8a1b316683_o.jpg

If you leave the Touch Screen Button Beep set to ON, and revise the Touch Panel Button Beep setting to OFF, then you can evaluate the Touch Panel controls as being the source of the spurious beep sounds. If they stop, it's the Touch Panel controls that are the source. If you're satisfied being rid of the spurious beeps, and, you're satisfied operating your Touch Panel controls without any audible feedback of their actuation, then your problem is solved.

If the spurious beeps continue, then I would revise the Touch Screen Button Beep setting to OFF and leave the Touch Panel Button Beep set to OFF, also. If the spurious beeps are fully eliminated, then the Touch Screen is the source of the problem. I would then return the Touch Panel Button Beep setting to ON (presuming you like having that audible feedback) and further confirm that the spurious beeps are still gone. If you're satisfied being rid of the spurious beeps, and, you're satisfied operating your Touch Screen controls without any audible feedback of their actuation, then your problem is solved.

If the spurious beeps continue with both the Touch Screen Button Beep and the Touch Panel Button Beep set to OFF, then a visit to the dealership may be necessary if you want to eliminate the noise. Perhaps they would reload some software that may have become corrupted -- or perhaps a software update is available, otherwise they will be doing diagnostic testing to chase down a bad control or some wiring and/or connector issue.

I checked OASIS to see if any Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) on this topic and there were none listed for the 2014 Ford Edge Sport VIN I used (which was listed for sale online).

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

How old is your vehicle battery? If its over three years old wouldn't hurt to have it tested (test for CCA values, NOT just voltage). 

Other things that pop to mind, seatbelt sensor detects a weight on passenger (or drivers) seat and seat belt not fastened. Other sensors such as tire pressure, parking break still on, etc. Next timebit beeps see if any messages or warning lights. 

Edited by enigma-2