Unleashed tuning charging for tune update?

MrBelugaBiscuit

I recently purchased and installed a FMIC on my Unleashed tuned Edge. I emailed Torrie and asked about updating the tune to take advantage of the mod. He asked if I purchased the intercooler from him, I said I did not, explaining that I bought one from a forum member that was new in box. He proceeded to email me back and said he will charge $100 to calibrate. 

On the Unleashed site it says the tune includes post sale calibration. Is this normal?

Could you post a link to what you bought and the statement regarding the lifetime free updates and modifications.

https://unleashedtuning.com/unleashed-custom-tuning-for-edge-st-27l/

What model/year do you have? - it would be good if you could add location and vehicle model/year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

I have purchased the E30 performance tune, and 93 performance tune and a tow tune. I originally purchased the SCTX4 and tunes for another vehicle from unleashed. As well as the RMM. It's on a 2016 Edge Sport. 

Post calibration is included on the tunes per the description.

** Note we will not tune your vehicle if you have any emissions equipment removed** 

Unleash the power & torque in your Edge ST with Custom Tunes from Unleashed Tuning.

Includes custom files plus post sale calibration support.

This option is chosen for those that already have an SCT programmer and wish to buy files for their existing device. 

Our Calibrations are written to be US Federally compliant. 

I think their promise is a little ambiguous and can understand them providing "calibrations" to improve or alter the system as it was when they supplied the tune, but if your made a significant mechanical modification that would actually require a new or "modified tune", not a simple calibration.

Buying the additional mechanical parts from them they may offer the tune modifications to match at no charge - it would be reasonable for them to assume that they provided that support to the original purchaser of the FMIC.

https://unleashedtuning.com/unleashed-custom-tuning-for-edge-st-27l/

Edited by 1004ron

I mean if charging is the normal practice, I will suck it up and pay. Yet all the info I can find on these forums and the Facebook groups is that he doesn't charge for updates even with much larger mods and tons of data logging. That's the entire reason I chose unleashed vs the others was the after sale support. I could be wrong and if so I will eat crow and admit it.

I've worked with 2 tuners in the past. They provided after sales support with data logging and readjusted tune files to the point where I was satisfied with the end results. That's where the support stops. If you start installing parts that you didn't buy from them that will effect the tune, they are under no obligation to do it for free.

Most tuners will wave the recalibration cost if you buy the parts from them. Standard industry practice.

• Like 4

I think post tuning support is more like "hey, my car is acting funny since I used your tune, any chance you could take a look at datalogs?" I've tuned 3 or 4 cars using unleashed with no issue, and even had one of them retuned about a year after the initial tune for no charge, but this was a case of the car acting up with the tune, not a retune for adding new parts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBelugaBiscuit said:

Well, it seems I was mistaken. I apologize for my incorrect stance on the matter. Torrie has always been great to work with up to this point. And I was the one who had a misunderstanding. It seems crow is on my menu for breakfast today! Thanks for the input on this matter!

I've dined on it several times over the years.

• Haha 2