2018 Ford Edge Sport

The fresh air intake mod from @Xtra came in recently. It's amazing what this person can design in their spare time. The fitment wasn't perfect but with a little wiggling, all fasteners snapped right in. Also included where 5 longer fasteners that were needed for the front.  Hood needed to be pushed down, I assume that gets easier after a few heat cycles. It will be interesting to see what this does for IAT's. I will be able to data to see if there is any difference.

20210928_174952.thumb.jpg.b4746d4945e6b17f779e2d7d30a7f053.jpg

• Like 4

I pulled the badges and exhaust tips off. Painted the exhaust tips with flat black header paint and replaced the badges with some options from amazon. Amazon has a metal "Sport" badge similar to the explorer sport. I do not recommend this badge as its smaller than factory and is hollow making the double sided tape have little surface area to stick to. The other badge is a blacked out ecoboost badge 5 1/4" in length. Overall turned out great. I will probably replace the sport badge in the future though. The picture isnt great but I'm more than happy with how it turned out. 

20211004_180105.thumb.jpg.9d7bf6b4c117fee064f3a93f3fad2581.jpg

Edited by itsnotdustin
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The intake finally arrived after a couple month wait. This was a test fit really since AFE stated that the intake only fit 2019+ Edge ST. Luckily for me it was a bolt-on fit with no issue or modification. This a metal upper airbox with plastic cap that replaces the factory upper airbox. It's latched in with the factory latches. With the cap on, there is no difference in sound and I haven't datalogged intake temps. I doubt temps change much with this setup since the intercooler is the weak link.

20211020_120052.thumb.jpg.eaf33e92b1b1807c0441477af11f94c3.jpg

20211020_120059.thumb.jpg.77357d7e17ca7b2b89454af7161a8764.jpg

20211020_120116.thumb.jpg.0c05a30b730bd3eb3883ca5654944df7.jpg

20211020_120428.thumb.jpg.253138954390c716d442d9db948a916e.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Borla exhaust is now installed. There are some points of concern.

1- The connection from the factory downpipe to the exhaust is very tight. I suggest heating the pipe or widening the pipe a tad before installation. Not a big deal.

2- The exhaust tip lines up fine but its not dead center of the fascia. Its on the inner side of the fascia.

3- The exhaust pipe is the same size as factory - 2 1/4". I was a little surprised stock pipe would be that big. No performance gains expected after learning this.

4- The deal breaker - the resonator makes contact with the driveshaft carrier bearing. I actually crushed the resonator a bit to make it fit. It was a sloppy job but I knew this wasn't going to be a guaranteed fit.

With all that said, this is an exhaust for a 2019 Edge ST going on a 2018. My recommendation would be to modify the factory exhaust if you're looking for more sound/flow. Either delete the stock resonator or stock muffler. Since there is no upgrade in pipe diameter, it's not worth going with an aftermarket exhaust since there is no performance increases to be had. 

20211117 Borla S-Type Exhaust System BOR-140766 Fitment Photos FT-29.jpg

20211117 Borla S-Type Exhaust System BOR-140766 Fitment Photos FT-18.jpg

20211117 Borla S-Type Exhaust System BOR-140766 Fitment Photos FT-20.jpg

Edited by itsnotdustin

I installed the Draw-tite hitch the same time as the exhaust. There are some good install guides on youtube for this but they dont cover the Sport. The only difference for the Sport I learned is there is a plastic panel with a heat shield that fastens the bottom lip of the bumper to the body. This is removed completely leaving the lower portion of the bumper a tad flimsy. Zip ties were put in place in the meantime until I can make a couple small brackets to fasten the bumper to the body. 

20211117 Borla S-Type Exhaust System BOR-140766 Fitment Photos FT-30.jpg

20211117 Borla S-Type Exhaust System BOR-140766 Fitment Photos FT-38.jpg

Edited by itsnotdustin

1 hour ago, Cookiemonster117 said:

Have you noticed the intake lid coming off while driving? I know there were issues with the clear one.

Yes the cap has come off on mine already. There are small detents on the upper airbox that are supposed to hold the cover in place but the cover barely puts any pressure on them to fasten it. Easy fix is to drill a small hole in the upper airbox and throw a small panel fastener in there to hold it in place. I could post a picture but anyone with the intake will know what I mean. it's a small issue, but an issue none the less.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the lowering springs installed the on Edge. Gotta say I'm a huge fan. The wheel gap has been reeled in and looks a lot better but still leaves enough height that I don't have to worry about parking curbs or speed bumps. There is some rake still there which I'm not a fan of but it will help out if I ever decide to tow any light loads. The ride quality is a little stiffer than expected but very manageable. With the progressive spring rate, small bumps in the road are only felt slightly more than before, but with bigger bumps the stiffness ramps in quickly and is slightly more jarring than expected. Overall it leaves me confident that the suspension won't bottom out while keeping a comfy ride on normal roads.

20211129_172052.jpg

20211129_172133.jpg

And with the last of the images uploaded, that leaves me without much else to add to this post. I'd count this as a 2-phase build with intake, exhaust, and tuner being phase 1 and wheels, tires, and springs being phase 2. Phase 3 would probably consist of an intercooler, downpipes, and aa more aggressive tune but I'm not sure when or if that would happen. End goal would be to add the ss-tuning body kit but the cost of that with paint means I need to save some money first. Thanks for checking out the build.

Edited by itsnotdustin
  • Like 2