MPG computer any consistency in margin of error?

ed4pbay

I’ve got a 2016 SEL. Has there been any established data on how wrong the mpg gauge is? Does it vary from car to car or is there a consistent margin of error. On a trip from San Diego to L.A. light early morning traffic with the cruise control on mostly 66-68 miles an hour the mpg read 36.2. Yeah, right!

• 1 month later...

First road trip in the 2016 2L ECOboost. Strolling 70-75 mph and was showing 25.6 after 240 miles. Not too stoked about that as the 2018 Odyssey I’m about to sell was getting  28+ mpg on the same route. 
the Edge has just over 30,000 miles on it and had it a week. I’ll prob pour a bottle of Seafoam in it and run a tank of premium through it to see if it improves. 

Edited by RickTheFix

• 6 months later...

I have 5400 miles on mine...never reset the mpg readout...mine shows 17.1mpg...in the instant I can hit 32mpg flat road with cruise.

But my 17.1 is right after filling up and doing the math with gallons and miles drove... My 1998 Svt mustang cobra averages 16mpg and I never baby it driving..with a 32valve 4.6 liter. And 20 year older fuel injection...where is the eco inthe eco boost??