Variable valve timing problems

ottawaedge

My 08 SEL with 29.5k just went in the shop with the same cam sensors problem for the 3 day teardwn/repair. I already went thru a nightmare with the PTU seal (7th repair is holding for the last 12k miles). As much as I like the car have to consider cashing in the chips when I get it back. We shal see....

My 08 SEL with 29.5k just went in the shop with the same cam sensors problem for the 3 day teardwn/repair. I already went thru a nightmare with the PTU seal (7th repair is holding for the last 12k miles). As much as I like the car have to consider cashing in the chips when I get it back. We shal see....

I would say some of the members here are overreacting. Go to any of the other manufacturers forums and see the problems people are having. Recently I visited Mercedes Benz site and some folks are having lot of problems with transmission beside other things. :yup:

• 3 weeks later...

They need to replace the camshaft position sensor and possibly the exhaust control valve solenoid.. I had the same issues, running rough and jerky idle with foot on brake. Is your car color blazing copper by any chance ? They have 3 now at my local dealership with same issues......all blazing copper :o Someone else on hhere has same issues.....also coppper !

Blazing cooper. same issue. Fixed 3 weeks ago. No problems so far.... Crossing fingers and legs!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. My 2008 Edge SEL AWD with 18K miles on it began to idle roughly, little hesitation and is running rough. The check engine light came on about 3 days ago. Brought it into my dealer (AutoFair, Manchester, NH) and was told today that it was the camshaft phaser that needed to be replaced.

I was told that the parts were on back order, but that the car was safe to drive. If it began acting up I should call the dealer and they would get me a loaner car to use until they can fix my Edge. Tells me that if the parts are on back order they must be fixing quite a few of these issues.

I've also noticed lately that there is a smell and smoke coming from under the hood especially on long trips. Don't know if this is part of the same issue or not.

Edited by Patriotsnhfan

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem-

My 2008 Edge Ltd. AWD with 8,000 kms. began running rough and stalling followed by the check engine light coming on. Dealer checked the codes and after consulting with the tech line they were advised problem was in the variable valve timing. They had to remove the front engine cover and replace a cam phaser, pulley and solenoid. Total warranty time for job 20 hours!

After picking up the car it now makes a LOUD whining noise from front of engine until the engine warms up at which point noise goes away.-Dealer is now waiting for more parts to come in and will then repeat the teardown. -Troubling to say the least considering vehicle is only 6 month old with such low mileage. I would be interested to know if this is a fluke or a known issue with these engines?

Yep....its happening to me. Coming home yesterday Friday evening and my 2007 ford edge 30,500 mile on it started to hesitate and idle rough...almost to a stall, I had to gas and foot brake it, called my dealer and was told to bring it in Monday, President day holiday...I bought the extended warrent to 75,000 and / or 6 year top on the line warrenty...almost 1800.00. They will fix it I was told, I also under negotiation of the sale of the 2007 Edge to me was I wanted a rent-a-car everytime I brought it in for repairs...Done....NOW I RAN THE CODES AND IT IS THE SAME AS EVERONE ELSE WITH THIS IDLE / HESITATION PROBLEM..PULLED CODE P0018 AND P0021 BOTH CRANKSHAFT AND CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSORS PROBLEM BANK 2 SENSOR A... Is this a tear down of the motor or like what others have mentioned here in the forum, it should be a recall soon since its Feb 19 2011. I also have had two rear wheel bearing go on me as well...sounds familiar here too! I will keep posting day by day as to what happens from the dealer and so on.....replies welcome...

Dan