Bass, mid, and treble sliders don't respond

Hey all,

I just got my 2012 Limited yesterday.  One thing I'm noticing is the bass/treble/midrange adjustments don't change when I try to change them.  The system clicks like it's detecting my touch, but the sliders don't change.  I've tried it on the FM, Sirius, and Bluetooth audio inputs, and the behavior is the same.  This is on a Limited with the touch infotainment system.  I've tried searching the forum but I haven't come up with any threads that address this.

I believe I've poked through all the settings on the unit, and haven't seen anything that would lock them.  I did do a software update on it last night to bring it to the most current version they offer.  One thing I noticed is the system shows song titles when streaming over Bluetooth from my Android phone now.  The software update did appear to default the configuration so it was starting from scratch.

Thank you!

About the only other thing I can think of is to force a total reset. You do this by pulling power from the radio and forcing it to do a full reboot. Pull the fuse for 15 minutes, think its 29 but check your owners manual to be certain (may have more than one). Another way is to pull the battety pos terminal, but you loose all settings in all systems, which means the car must relearn everything. 

I don't know exactly what setting are available in the radio diagnostic mode, but easy enough to check.

To put the radio (ACM) into diagnostic mode, turn the radio tune to an FM station, then press and hold the seek up button and the eject button at the same time until the speaker walk-around test begins.

(Be forwarded that as the speakers each test, it can be quite loud).

The display indicates each speaker as it is tested.

After the speaker "walk-around" test completes, (I  believe) the radio will go into the diagnostic mode (exactly what's displayed is dependent on the system you have installed). 

->You can also bypass the speaker test by pressing a key before it completes. The screen should tell you what key to press. 

->Once in diagnostic mode, you can select from several categories to check in the radio. I don't know if thd sliders are covered or not, but you can play around and see.

I remember that thread, but I thought they were complaining about the lack of depth of the controls; but they could still make adjustments.

Think the OP's complaint was the bass, mid and treble controls were not responding at all when adjusted. ( ot changing).

I thought a reset or master restore may restore the controls to be responsive, but .... 

It may be a defective ACM. ???

Edited by enigma-2

I'll give that a try.  I know there is a fault code thrown by the APIC when I connect with forscan, but it's just indicating the nav sdcard is missing.  I have to get a new Bluetooth OBD adapter because mine's old and doesn't have the extra pins for the car's MS (I think) CAN bus.  I picked one of the ones recommended on the forscan site, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

It's still cold but I might still get around to trying this tonight.  It will be cold here for 6 months yet.  

• 5 weeks later...

I picked up a Vlinker Bluetooth adapter and installed Forscan on my phone.  I don't see any DTCs in the APIM.  I see I can reset the APIM using Forscan.  I thought about trying it-- do any of you know if I will have to do any configuration of the system after I do that?

I'm wondering if it's more thorough and a master reset.  I know my radio presets lived through the master reset.

• 2 months later...

On 12/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, Ophidia said:

Hey all,

I just got my 2012 Limited yesterday.  One thing I'm noticing is the bass/treble/midrange adjustments don't change when I try to change them.  The system clicks like it's detecting my touch, but the sliders don't change.  I've tried it on the FM, Sirius, and Bluetooth audio inputs, and the behavior is the same.  This is on a Limited with the touch infotainment system.  I've tried searching the forum but I haven't come up with any threads that address this.

I believe I've poked through all the settings on the unit, and haven't seen anything that would lock them.  I did do a software update on it last night to bring it to the most current version they offer.  One thing I noticed is the system shows song titles when streaming over Bluetooth from my Android phone now.  The software update did appear to default the configuration so it was starting from scratch.

Thank you!

Hello! I'm about to purchase a 2013 edge limited and it has this exact problem. Tried the master reset within the radio settings, but didn't change anything, same as you...

Did you manage to find the fix? 

The car is in perfect condition except for that little glitch and honestly it's pretty important to me haha. Can't drive without my music and the default settings are bad.

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that this being reported on some Sony radios. One suggestion was the turn off the surround and play with the discrete stero contrils. The responder noted that these radios have different modes programmed in and may possibly turn off certain controls for the best "experience ". 

I haven't found a solution yet.  There's no surround option anywhere in any of the menus that I've seen as well, so I don't think that's it.  That explanation makes sense, but there's nothing anywhere for automatically controlling sound.  At least, not that I've found.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, danxc said:

Same here. 2014 w/o Sony radio and the nothing append when i use the slider, i search with Forscan and found nothnig!!!

Add some details: also the balance, fader, stereo/surround, color light ambiance does not work, like i have the wrong radio...

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 Lincoln MKX - the touch screen went bad in it and I replaced it with one I bought on eBay.  Everything works fine except the bass treble balance etc. I've done all the "resets" available to no avail. Since you guys are purchasing a used auto maybe those screens were replaced as well.

Before replacement my screen worked perfectly. - Not really sure if the dealer could sort this out anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, danxc said:

Add some details: also the balance, fader, stereo/surround, color light ambiance does not work, like i have the wrong radio...

My ambient lighting does work.  The fader/balance will work, sometimes, a little, and only responds to touch input after like 10 taps per try.  It still clicks with every touch.