Cargo Bay Light Always ON

oskar27

• 2 weeks later...

No, when the tailgate is open, the light is on. People have been complaining about this since 2008. 

There are two work arounds.

1. Wire in a switch to disconnect the light.

2. Shove an ink pen or screwdriver into the latch mechanism and pop it closed. (It thinks it's closed and the light goes out.) But, you MUST trigger the latch open again before actually closing the tailgate, or it will not latch and reopen.

Quite unusual not to have a way to turn OFF that light. Never had a use for it, I will see if there is a way to remove the cover and unplug the light bulb (if there is a bulb) otherwise if I can access the wiring I can stick a switch and mount it just next to the light. Thanks

One other possibility is to install a cargo light from another model, that already has a switch. Here's one example, I would imagine there are many others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compatible-with-2015-2020-Ford-F-150-250-F-350-Bed-Cargo-Lamp-Light-Switch-/324886349853?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• Like 1

Many thanks enigma-2 for the help, got really excited with the pictures and I said I can zip this one in a few minutes and get done with it but unfortunately my light is recessed and not pushed on from the outside as shown in the pictures. To remove my light the way I see it I must remove the side panel and to do so there is no way I can do it without damaging the panel unless I know how.

From Ukraine? How the heck you found it omar302? Yes it looks like mine and looking at the 2nd picture of the light all these electronics for a light bulb? Amazing!

Anyway the light has a small flange around it and the way I see it this flange sits at the back of the panel so even if I will be able to push it left/right to remove the light it will be impossible to re install it without removing the panel unless I miss understand something.

I will have a look tomorrow to see how difficult is to remove the panel.