Help with my Mom's 2015 Edge SEL 2.0 4cyl AWD please.

spb1122

Hello all, this is my first post on these forums.

I understand the decorum of introducing oneself on forums like these, but forgive me, I may not be sticking around long or often, please read on for an explanation, and thanks for your help ahead of time.  I am an active member of many forums for vehicles I own and drive, so I appreciate the value of these types of groups.

I'll jump right in.

I signed up here, and am making this post, because I'm working on my Mom's Ford Edge.

Not really looking for sympathy, but as an explanation, my Dad passed away at 85 years young in August 2021, and he always took care of their stuff, including the Edge.

Now she's having a problem with it, so I'm going to help her with it.  Mom's 88, and a tough Irish broad (her own description of herself, lol)

Initial complaint was that the rear power liftgate would not open with any of the controls (on liftgate, on dashboard, or on key fob).  I verified this to be true. There was a noise as if disengaging, and the driver's side of the liftgate seemed to shift slightly, but it would not open.  Liftgate ajar waring on dash, and the light in the rear bay, and the overhead lights up front went on, and stayed on.  By pushing down on the liftgate, the interior lights would go out.

So, I do some online research, and come up with how to get the liftgate opened manually, and part  FA1Z-7443150-B Lock Actuator.  Seemed simple enough.

However, before I get to order the part, Mom calls up and tells me her car won't start.  Turns out the battery was dead. 

Now, Mom and Dad have not driven the Edge much at all since this whole pandemic started in 2020, and it was mid January, so it's cold.  They had put a new battery in it February, 2021.  I hook up the charger, and fully charge the battery.  Shame on me, I did not test anything, even though I have the tools and knowledge to do so.  I assume that since the battery is less than 1 year old, it's cold outside, the car has not been driven much at all (long periods of no driving, and short trips when it is driven), it's a dead battery...charge it up and move on.  Anyway, here's where I get a little doubtful. 

Right after I charge up the battery, the power liftgate works perfectly!  Using any of the three possible controls.  I'm still thinking the actuator could be on its way out, and the charge just gave it a jolt, but I'm also crossing my fingers that a low battery may have messed with a control module or something.  I hope for the best, and let it ride.

For three weeks, all goes well.  Mom is taking short drives every other day more or less.  Then, on a shopping trip three days ago, the liftgate won't open again for Mom.  I head to Mom's, press the key fob, and the darn thing opens and closes just fine.  I press the button on the liftgate, and it does the hum click shift thing and won't open.  I press the dash button, and it works fine.  I'm baffled, and wonder if the problem is the button on the liftgate.  I take the car out for a 40 minute drive at highway speeds.  I do not have my volt meter or charger with me, so I can't check the battery.  When I get back from the drive, I try the liftgate.  It won't open using any of the controls.  I am now convinced the lock actuator needs to be changed, but I now want to thoroughly check the battery (but don't have the tools with me).

Today, I go to Mom's with my meter.  (FYI, before I head out, I check the meter with my truck, and my wife's SUV.  Meter reads between 12.58 and 12.59 on both batteries at rest, and 14.3-14.4 while idling, only dropping to 11.5 or better during startup.  I consider the meter good.).  Mom's battery reads 12.1 at rest  (my understanding is this is less than a 50% charge).  Drops to 11.2 with the lights on and blower fan running on high (my understanding is this is too much of a drop). I turn off lights and fan.  Goes to 11.9.  Drops to 10 while starting, but it does start quickly (my understanding is this is indicating a bad battery).  Shows normal voltage between 13.9 - 14.4 while running.  My opinion is that even though the battery is only one year old, it is not healthy.  Of course we don't know where Dad put the receipt, which is really odd for him because he always kept impeccable service records, but doesn't change the fact that we are SOL as far as battery warranty.  Accepted.  I don't want another T5 battery anyway.  I'd like to replace the T5 flooded battery with an Interstate H6 AGM battery regardless. 

So, I'm going to change the battery.

After that long winded explanation, I get to my question.

Does that scenario sound familiar to any of you?  Could the power liftgate really stop working like that only because a battery drops to less than 50%?  Sounds fishy to me.  I suspect the Lock Actuator may still be bad, and the culprit behind the whole issue.  What I'm worried about is replacing the battery, but not the Lock Actuator, and possibly frying another new battery?  I'm hoping for some experienced advice from some Ford Edge experts.

Thanks,

Steve

I can't speak directly to the Edge in regards to the battery, but I know my 13 F150 FX4 has given me issues with the BMS (battery management system), in the summer when the AC goes to full blast and the voltage isn't within the threshold to handle the fan motor and the fan shuts off to save power. These more modern cars are so finicky when with these things I can believe a battery caused all of this. Great write-up and troubleshooting steps though! I also replaced our battery in our Edge with an AGM battery, which seems to be a good choice.

I'm curious, what steps did it take to open the gate manually when the actuator wasn't working? 

• Like 1

Yes, this absolutely sounds like my experiences with my 2019 Edge ST.  Little things stopped working, one day it was the button for the liftgate, then it was interior lights not staying on, then it was not able to lock/unlock from any door besides the drivers.

Replace the battery and you should be good.

Here was my post - 

Edited by txaggie
adding post link
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeepwx03 said:

I can't speak directly to the Edge in regards to the battery, but I know my 13 F150 FX4 has given me issues with the BMS (battery management system), in the summer when the AC goes to full blast and the voltage isn't within the threshold to handle the fan motor and the fan shuts off to save power. These more modern cars are so finicky when with these things I can believe a battery caused all of this. Great write-up and troubleshooting steps though! I also replaced our battery in our Edge with an AGM battery, which seems to be a good choice.

I'm curious, what steps did it take to open the gate manually when the actuator wasn't working? 

Small screwdriver into a slot in the actuator, and sliding a small lever sideways.  PITA to be truthful.  Ford should have a better manual release IMHO.

0214221827.jpg

I haven't owned a Ford since 1982.

I'm finding out I'll need to use Forscan to reset the Battery Management System, and change the battery type to the H6 AGM.

So, I just ordered an OBDLink EX FORscan OBD Adapter, and downloaded FORScan to my laptop.

It used to be so simple to change a battery....

13 minutes ago, dajo2012 said:

This worked for me.  

@dajo2012, thanks very much!!

I have seen that, but that procedure will only reset the BMS.  If I was replacing the battery with the same T5 flooded battery, that would be all I needed to do.  However, I'm switching to an H6 AGM battery, so I need to tell the Edge's computer that there will be a different type battery in it now.  From what I've read, the type of battery programmed into the computer adjusts the cars charge rates and levels.

It also seems, from what I've read, that FORScan is a big help when working on the Fords, and sound like a worthwhile investment for the Edge.  Again, I haven't owned a Ford for decades, so I'm learning as I go here.

Parts, battery, and tool will be arriving in the next two days.  I'll be doing all the work this weekend, so fingers crossed!