Radio touch screen

on Feb 28, 2022 8:02 am

Hi,
I own a 2007 Edge SE and I upgraded the radio to a touch screen. I bought a 2007 Edge radio model 7T4T-18K931-AG on ebay. I installed it and everything seem to work but a few options on the touch screen wouldnt. So I decided to change the screen since it came with a few smudges and scratches. I bought and installed the new screen and also installed a new GPS antenna. Now, my issue is that everything works minus the touch screen. I've looked online how to do a soft reset but nothing seems to work. I can't access the map, destination, nav or even the settings on the screen. What am I missing or what did I do wrong?

Can't answer your question as there are too many possibilities & no one knows what parts you used. Parts that look the same can be completely incompatible. 

But in my opinion,  you may be better served by installing an aftermarket system. There are kits available that connect to steering wheel buttons and add functions like Android Auto, etc.

{example}

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tn05AADcf7V/ymm/2007-Ford-Edge-Speakers-Stereos.html

(Select with or without factory woofer)

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

I understand about the issue of some parts not being compatible but even the factory touchscreen before removal would not allow me to make certain selections when touched. I'm trying to keep the stock look. I just wanted to know if theres a way I can do a soft reset because I already did the fuse pull(#28,39, and 41) and nothing. I've searched online about a reset but they are for the radios with SYNC. 

I've contacted the seller and he's sending me another touchscreen.  If that doesn't work I guess I'll take to the dealer to get it programed.  

If anyone has any clues on what to do please comment.

Someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong..... Your MY would use MFT/ SYNC1.  Those units tend to die due to a variety of reasons.  Don't feel as if you made a bad choice. next gen has similar not the same issues and they eventually die.

You could reinstall the previous touch screen and find and or pay someone to program it for you. There are a few people here that can help you. That would require buying an OBD2 adaptor.  I use this one....

OBDLink MX= OBD2 Bluestooth scanner

You would also need to use FORScan.

Or you can do as Enigma suggested and go aftermarket. 

Ok so I just left the dealer and inquired about the cost of programming which is $140. Now, they tell me that the reason why the touch screen and gps dont work could be because of the APIM. They claim each APIM is specific to each vehicle due to the factory options it came with. They recommended I swap the APIM but it costs around $900. This is my first ford so bear with me if I don't know the ins and outs. Now, I have a SE model but is it possible to flash/program the APIM to match the options of a SEL model in order to have the radio and GPS work properly?

You can copy the "as-built" values into the replacement APIM.

Been discussed here before. 

-or, you can buy a replacement APIM and the seller will program it for you.

https://www.4dtech.com/replacement-sync-2-module-apim-myford-touch/

Or, yiu could send the radio off and get it serviced. (Or at least talk with these people and get a second opinion. The "could be" remark bothered me. Easiest enough to check by pulling the codes. I think its possible to read the codes through the radio itself. I know its possible in the 2009 unit as ive done it).

One example of repair:

https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/2007-ford-edge

Edited by enigma-2