18 Sport - 'Soft' front struts?

First, not sure if I should have this in the generation specific forum.

I bought my used 18 Sport back is mid-January with about 25k miles on it.

What I noticed is the front struts seem to be 'soft' or weak.

Start with my question: does anyone else notice the front struts seem to compress easier than the rear on their Gen II Sport?

When going over a speed bump, the front seems to compress more and rebound fairly quickly vs. the rear compresses slightly and settles right away.

The other reason the front seems to have weak struts is there's a section of highway that I drive on once a month or so. It's concrete and the expansion joints seem to be spaced just right where it feels like the front tires are really bouncing.

The thought that the 21's with the shorter sidewall might not be absorbing as much, but I never felt that in my Golf R, which has basically rubber bands for tires and I don't remember feeling that in my 14 Explorer Sport.

Most roads are fine and it doesn't bounce on the majority of the roads I drive, just that section of highway (and the speed bump thing).

I haven't gotten under it to look around since it's still winter, but I plan to see if I can find any noticeable leaks at the struts.

It's certified pre-owned, so I could bring it in, but don't want to waste my time (and possibly money) to have the dealer state it's normal.

Next time we go that way, I might take our 14 Explorer sport to see if it's any different.

As the car was certified, they are probably ok; abet soft. Any possibility that the previous owner installed aftermarket struts? (Chineese junk is known to be softer). Dealer technicians can tell difference between oem and aftermarket. 

Edited by enigma-2

36 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

As the car was certified, they are probably ok; abet soft. Any possibility that the previous owner installed aftermarket struts? (Chineese junk is known to be softer). Dealer technicians can tell difference between oem and aftermarket. 

I guess anything is possible in regards to replacing struts. I hope the OE ones weren't worn out after 25k miles though. I'll get under there and inspect likely in the coming weeks, but wanted to see what others felt.

10 hours ago, Odrapnew said:

Start with my question: does anyone else notice the front struts seem to compress easier than the rear on their Gen II Sport?

I do. Going over speed bumps I get the exact same feeling you described. I remember it this way since new.

Reading Ford's introduction of the Edge Sport, they did state upgrading the rear shocks compared to the standard but no mention of the front struts.

The Edge Sport suspension has been upgraded with front and rear antiroll bars that are 15 percent stiffer than the base model. Unique rear monotube dampers are larger in diameter, while coil springs are 10 percent stiffer and offer 20 percent less body roll than the previous-generation setup. Enhanced damping gives Edge Sport improved road-holding capability – providing the driver with more control, sharper steering and greater confidence. 

Edited by omar302

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

I do. Going over speed bumps I get the exact same feeling you described. I remember it this way since new.

Reading Ford's introduction of the Edge Sport, they did state upgrading the rear shocks compared to the standard but no mention of the front struts.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like it's normal...or at least 2 people have same experience.

I'll still inspect it this spring, but I don't expect to find anything obviously wrong.