Edge PTU

Shef89

New here so I'm sure this topic has been asked a million times.

I am a mechanic at our families used car dealership and we sell the hell out of Edges and through the years and 100s of them through our shop, we have seldom had any major issues. Normal stuff, coilpacks, struts, rust, wheel bearings, etc. However I got a 2008 in back in December and upon first inspection it felt like the typical wheel bearing failure. I put it on the lift and noticed it to not have a driveshaft in it, I assumed the carrier bearing was bad and someone just took it off to rid themselves of the noise. After replacing wheel bearings and Ball joints and putting a driveshaft in it the noise was still there and I put that Edge  to the side until I could read about it or ask some questions. Fast Forward to late February and we got a damn nice 2013 Edge SEL thats damn near mint and upon driving it, I noticed the exact same noise as the 2008, but this one was a lot louder and you could  feel it in your feet. Long and behold I had never ever encountered a PTU issue with one of these ever and the more I read the more it seemed like that could be the problem. I called the Ford Dealership and the parts guy was stunned that I hadn't ever come across one with that noise before and he told me that it was such a prevalent thing in them that they use to keep 2 on stock at all times. That conversation gave me hope that I was on the right track, so after more reading and watching videos, I finally convinced myself that it had to be that. I swapped it out with a brand new PTU, and I still have the same noise. I brought it back in and replaced wheel bearings and the LF Axle, with no success. What else could I possibly look in to with it? Could the Transmission in that Edge make a noise like that? I never did anything more with the 08 as I hoped that this would fix this one and assure me that the PTU was the problem. It shifts good and runs good but I have become so obsessed with this that I joined a forum and watch PTU videos all day. Thank you for any help 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...