Sync 1.2 just released

"This software contains enhancements that will improve the reliability and functionality of both Bluetooth and USB connections to SYNC from various phones and media players. The Bluetooth enhancements will improve support of the phonebook download feature and enhance the stability of hands-free calls, call waiting, caller ID, multiple call handling and other mobile phone features. The USB enhancements include updates to improve the reliability of the USB connection and improve support for media players and the playing of file formats and podcasts."

So now, we have had 1.1 (which fixed all my 3 main bugs I had complaints about) and now the 1.2 release yesterday.

you can get it here if you signup and make an account under Sync Owners

UPDATE: the 1.2 update is now back online and people are reporting success with the new download.

Edited by Lex Talionis

how do you go about installing these updates? usb flash? after they get tis problem fixed it would be nice to know how to install the updates, is it like a firmware update?

go here to get install details.

yes, it is like a firmware upgrade. can only be done via USB drive. simple thumb drive will do.

1.1 is out and fixed a lot of issues for a lot of people - like me. You might want to try with that first until this one gets hashed out, but you MUST be a member - free - and setup and account and profile to download these updates. visit the website.

go here to get install details.

yes, it is like a firmware upgrade. can only be done via USB drive. simple thumb drive will do.

1.1 is out and fixed a lot of issues for a lot of people - like me. You might want to try with that first until this one gets hashed out, but you MUST be a member - free - and setup and account and profile to download these updates. visit the website.

Terrible experience installing 1.2, though maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. Dowload, go through the motions to install, takes about 1 minute before I see and hear both installation confirmed messages (as opposed to the up to 15 minutes the sync site says). Put USB back in computer, upload install confirmation files, and my log on syncmyride still says I have 1.1.

Go through it all again, although this time installation fails. Try a master reset, installation still says fail, though it had new confirmation files to upload, and syncmyride now says i have 1.2.

I just picked up my Edge today and did the 1.1 install earlier, though I had to do it twice before syncmyride would recognize that I had it installed.

Am I doing something wrong here? I use an iPhone 3G and before trying 1.2 Sync recognized contacts by last name first (i.e. "Call Dancer, Barry), while now it goes with first name first, so maybe i do have 1.2 successfully installed.

1 minute?

the site says "Please Read - This update will take up to 18 minutes to complete: Approximately 60 seconds after you begin the installation, you will receive an 'Installation Complete' message. DO NOT REMOVE your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait an additional 4-18 minutes until you hear a second 'Installation Complete' message before you can remove your thumb drive. During this interval, while the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure to leave your vehicle engine running throughout the entire installation process. "

are you sure you did not bail out early. they note at 60 seconds you get an 'Installation Complete' message - which is about what you said.. but you are not done yet.

I recall my 1.1 did not take nearly the 12-15 minutes they said, but it was also not a 1 minute install. also, are you sure the car is running.. yes running. many people did not do this and it caused issue.

I am not sure I would count 100% on the SMR site to confirm 100% you have it installed - or not. I know when I did 1.1 I noticed ASAP it fixed the 3 main issues I had, so I knew the install took despite the odd reports the website would give me under my account.

I am about to go try the install myself. the first 1.2 release the other day failed for me, like for everyone else, so I will report if this one takes as it seems it is for most everyone that had failure with the first 1.2 in the opening 24 hours.

Aye, it didn't take very long at all, and the car was running, which does make me afraid that I might have bailed early. But I got one installation complete message on my display and shortly afterward the voice said "Intallation Complete, system will now reboot."

I tried the sync version checker, too, but even after uploading its confirmation the log doesn't tell me anything. But, synmyride thinks I have 1.2 and won't let me download it again. Everything seems to be working fine, though, so whichever version is on there, it's working smoothly. And my phonebook is now accessed by first name first, instead of last, which I know was an issue with iPhones and 1.1.

Whever they release 1.3 I'll just let it sit for a good, long while to be safe. :)

Here is a way I can confirm I actually have the update

User Device > Settings > System Info (next option below Install) reported:

Before

5.6.8101 and 9L37-14DS44-AC

After

5.7.08323 and 9L3T-14DS44-AD

BTW.. timing was like literally 1 minute to the first verbal confirmation and then a screen that said "Rebooting..." and then 4 minutes later the verbal confirmation and a screen that said "installation complete" Does not appear to have reset al of my settings a this time, but I did not mouse around much.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Checked the files in System Info and I have the same ones listed, so I'm gonna assume everything went according to plan, despite my talking the USB out early.

Thanks for the info. Now to enjoy it on a loooooong road trip.

Here is a way I can confirm I actually have the update

User Device > Settings > System Info (next option below Install) reported:

Before

5.6.8101 and 9L37-14DS44-AC

After

5.7.08323 and 9L3T-14DS44-AD

BTW.. timing was like literally 1 minute to the first verbal confirmation and then a screen that said "Rebooting..." and then 4 minutes later the verbal confirmation and a screen that said "installation complete" Does not appear to have reset al of my settings a this time, but I did not mouse around much.

I did the update and it only took about 2 minutes to get the second Installation complete. I left it in and about 20 mins later had not heard anything else so I rebooted. Everything worked fine. It was very easy to do. I uploaded the files without issue also. Don't notice any difference my Blackberry still doesn't do texts or the ringers but it does work as a phone fine.

• 2 weeks later...

well, it has always done that.. since day 1. so not sure why it has not for you.

if it has not done that for you then you must have (1) some technical issue needing further investigation or (2) an mp3 player that is not on the tested and approved list here

but, either way, worth getting to find out if it helps you

well, it has always done that.. since day 1. so not sure why it has not for you.

if it has not done that for you then you must have (1) some technical issue needing further investigation or (2) an mp3 player that is not on the tested and approved list here

but, either way, worth getting to find out if it helps you

thanks for the 411

well I guess that explains it. . .I'm using a Sony Walkman NWZ-A816 :banghead:

Here is a strange bit of info. When I installed the 1.1 update, everything went fine with the Sync but I lost the connection with the garage door opener on the visor. Had to re-activate the door connection. I'll wait for the install of 1.2 until the temperature goes above zero again. :yup:

I am thinking 100% coincidence there. the 2 system are not even connected. 2 different fuses, they do not interact, programing is different methods.. I say not related.

I lost my garage door connection once - turned out to be a bad fuse.