accelerator response

jlineman

I had posted earlier concerning an abrupt accelerator response with my 2008 Edge. It is only there at speeds of about 2-3 MPH such as when moving in a parking lot.

I received a reply from someone listed as "CreamEdge" and advised that I disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 min, pump the brake 3-4 times and then re-attach the cable. Supposedly in an attempt to re-set the "TCM" which I assume is the transmission control module?

I replied to the answer but got no response. I am new to the forum...not sure who or what qualifications "CreamEdge" is or has. I am rather reluctant to try this for fear of affecting other things by disconnecting the battery cable. Has anyone heard of this as a possible solution to my problem?

It would definitely be worth a try. :victory:

Your Edge will forget almost everything it has learned about the way you drive.

Your radio presets should not be lost and hopefully your sync info will be retained.

I usually disconnect the battery in all my cars once a year.

It's a little like shutting down your PC every night.

ab

I had posted earlier concerning an abrupt accelerator response with my 2008 Edge. It is only there at speeds of about 2-3 MPH such as when moving in a parking lot.

I received a reply from someone listed as "CreamEdge" and advised that I disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 min, pump the brake 3-4 times and then re-attach the cable. Supposedly in an attempt to re-set the "TCM" which I assume is the transmission control module?

I replied to the answer but got no response. I am new to the forum...not sure who or what qualifications "CreamEdge" is or has. I am rather reluctant to try this for fear of affecting other things by disconnecting the battery cable. Has anyone heard of this as a possible solution to my problem?

Hi jlineman. :D Unfortunately, the incomplete advice of "disconnecting the battery to reset the PCM/TCM" is sometimes offered for various problems. It is not as simple as that, and the rest of the proper process is usually left out.

This is a copy and paste from the Edge Owners Manual (bold and underlined):

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,

some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When

the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must

relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and

performance. To begin this process:

1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.

2. Put the gearshift in P (Park), turn off all accessories and start the

engine.

3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.

4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.

5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.

6. Release the parking brake. With your foot on the brake pedal and with

the A/C on, put the vehicle in D (Drive) and allow the engine to idle for

at least one minute.

7. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.

• The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to

relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.

• If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle

quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle

trim is eventually relearned.

If the battery has been disconnected or a new battery has been installed,

the clock and radio settings must be reset once the battery is

reconnected.

Concerning the TCM (Transmission Control Module) relearning the shift process, the Owners Manual states the following (again, bold and underlined):

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the

automatic transmission must relearn its shift strategy. As a result, the

transmission may have firm and/or soft shifts. This operation is

considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the

transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update

transmission operation.

As you can see, disconnecting the battery will reset certain engine and transmission parameters, but there is a particular process that must be followed afterward which allows the engine to relearn the proper idle and fuel trim strategies. The transmission will relearn on it's own, over time.

If you are going to try it, at least follow the proper instructions as explained in the Owners Manual. And just as an FYI, I would always recommend that everyone always check their Owners Manual for information before following anyone's Internet advice (and that would also include any advice I give). It does not hurt to ask for advice on a Forum, just use common sense (as you did by double checking the advice you received). Often times, Internet advice (like advice from family and/or friends) is well intentioned, but not always correct.

Heck, if you think about it, unless you double-check the Owners Manual yourself, how do you even know whether what I wrote above is correct or not? :headscratch:

Finally, let me add that this advice is not meant to insult anyone (including CreamEdge and ablb, who were only trying to help). Everyone here is very helpful, I just always advise double checking the Owners Manual for the proper information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530